Why moving from OE 10.1b to 10.2b ?

grunnpi

Hello there,

My compagny is currently under 10.1b OpenEdge platform.
As 10.1b is retired, high management accept to move forward... but still need our arguments to validate upgrading.

What I see :
- .net GUi > but front evolution is not priority, and much less within technological change
- .class are now more evolved > nearly not used (yet)
- prerequisite for most latest OE tools (OpenEdge Management, for monitoring purpose) > good argument for management
- OE Architect > change IT tool, why not.. and what do we earn ?

What do you think else ?

Thanks for helping

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Improvements since 10.1B:
- Alternate Buffer pool -B2
- Improved performance (latch handling improved a lot in 10.1C and index rebuild, for instance)
- Online changing of parameters
- Structured error handling (catch, finally) --> you gotta love finally :)
- Online changing of appserver properties
- Improvements in OE architect (Eclipse is really a much better IDE then the appbuilder) also support for eclipse 3.6.0
- Native read/write JSON
- Data encryption in database

ah and ofcourse like you laready mentionedL It is supported. 10.1B is retired.

Cheers,
Casper

cj_brandt

You can download the 10.2B documentation. There is a doc called "New and Revised Features" - works great for presenting new features to mgmt.

GregTomkins

What does 'online changing of parameters' mean? You mean like DB startup parameters?

Incidentally, we're mostly 10.x on the server side, but still almost entirely 9.x on the client (Win32) side. The cost of upgrading that is staggering. We've been plugging away it for for 4,5 years now.

Casper

Staff member
yes I meant online changing database parameters:
proutil db-name -C increaseto -B n -B2 n -L n -bibufs n -aibufs n -Mxs n

Casper

Staff member
Incidentally, we're mostly 10.x on the server side, but still almost entirely 9.x on the client (Win32) side. The cost of upgrading that is staggering. We've been plugging away it for for 4,5 years now.
We could still use the V9 license model. So for our customers there where no changes. I am sure your sales guy from Progress can make a deal for you. Because holding back to upgrade clients because of license model is kinda bad for both Progress and customers I think. Progress had become much more realistic the last few years with regard to licensing. They finally get the idea of SAAS for example and they are also more realistic with regard to PSDN licenses of previous versions.

Regards,
Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
When you say "cost" are you thinking in terms of labor? Or did you let your maintenance agreement drop?

If labor, you might want to explore WebClient to get yourself out of this bind.

grunnpi

Thanks for multiple clue and response.
I was reading 10.2b "What's new" documentation, an one point is about Actionnal.

Thought it was an additionnal software, does it mean Actionnal is bundle with 10.2b ?
Or only Actionnal functionnality (if you buy it) are linked to 10.2b new feature ?

By the way, we're currently installation OpenEdge Management for monitoring/alterting purpose.
I'm not confortable argueing about what Actionnal could add comparing OpenEdge Management stuff.... maybe more precise test case, but as far as I see it's mostly WebService or SOA oriented.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
No, Actional isn't bundled. They are just referring to features to better support Actional "interceptors" should you be using Actional.