WHY Local Datase is slower to generate query

slh

Harlo,

I have 2 database, 1 local the other in server.

Whenever I open up a form consist of query browser in local it is much slower as copared to similar forms. Both forms accessing their local databased.
Eg: C:\MyDb\Customer.w >> C:\MyDb\MylocalDb.db and X:\ApplicationDb\Customer.w >> X:\ApplicationDb\Customer.db

sdjensen

How are the databases started up?

What hardware are the databases running on?

Also what OS are you running on?
What version of Progress are you using?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I would guess that your local restore is using a default configuration and startup parameters (maybe even single user). Generally speaking that isn't going to provide very good performance compared to a reasonably tuned server. It will be even less so if the local box is low-spec compared to the server.

slh

I would guess that your local restore is using a default configuration and startup parameters (maybe even single user). Generally speaking that isn't going to provide very good performance compared to a reasonably tuned server. It will be even less so if the local box is low-spec compared to the server.

Hi Tom,

Thanks, startup parameter permit multi user environment as I had turn on procontrol before connect to database in multi-user mood

"I would guess that your local restore is using a default configuration" - Please teach me how to check on this?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Give us the startup parameters of both databases. You will find them in the log as part of the server start.

slh

Hi Tamhas,

Both db using local license(developing) to access.

Local Startup Parameter in shortcut key:
"C:\Program Files\Progress\bin\prowin32.exe" -basekey ini -ininame c:\redbull\redbull.ini -pf c:\redbull\redbull.pf -p "C:\Documents and Settings\slh\Desktop\redbull_r\main.r" -inp 32000

Server Startup Parameter in shortcut key:
"C:\Program Files\Progress\bin\prowin32.exe" -pf i:\serverdb.pf -basekey ini -ininame j:\serverdb.ini -p main.r

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You've shown client startup parameters -- but all of the really interesting stuff is inside the .pf files. Are the two .pf files different? What is in them?

The db startup parameters are shown in the .lg file. The first 50 or so lines after the most recent db start are the most interesting. We would need to see this for both the server startup and your local startup.

Additionally you may have different values for the PATH and PROPATH environment variables. This can also impact performance significantly. Again, comparing the two environments is what is important.

You have not provided any information about the OS (obviously some form of Windows; but which one is unknown and there are quite a few to choose from -- and we don't know if the server is the same as the local machine or if it is different), the version of Progress, or the configuration of the hardware (CPU type, speed & number of cores; amount of RAM, disk configuration -- especially if any sort of RAID is in use). All of that is important and differences in any of those could easily be the source of your performance difference.

All of this is important. If you dribble it out with one partial answer per week we'll still be diagnosing this a year from now.