What's a good Programming distro?

dayv2005

I was wondering what's a good linux distro for programmers. I was wondering should i use ubuntu Suse or mandrke, or should i go with a complete other distro?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Assuming that you are programming in Progress, you might want to consider looking up which versions of Linux are supported for the version you are using. Others are known to work ... search PEG for examples ... but it is always nice to be able to call support when something doesn't work.

Be advised that, if you are wanting to use the PSC GUI development tools, you will generally find those supported only under Windows.

dayv2005

Assuming that you are programming in Progress, you might want to consider looking up which versions of Linux are supported for the version you are using. Others are known to work ... search PEG for examples ... but it is always nice to be able to call support when something doesn't work.

Be advised that, if you are wanting to use the PSC GUI development tools, you will generally find those supported only under Windows.

Well im a current progress programmer, but im not sure for how much longer, then i'll be doing some progress and some .net then eventually to all .net. So i guess i wanted to ask is there any apps on the distros that allows you to do c# or vb? and possibly asp?

dayv2005

.NET without Windows ... interesting concept.

haha yeah i should have specified that a little better, I meant to be explaining what programming i do. Not so much what I'll be doing on it. And i was wondering if they had anything similar to C# on them, kinda like how they have c++ similarities on it. Something a long that line. I just wanted to experiment a little with it.

Thanks for the burn :) hahaha

dayv2005

ok to make things less complicated, we will say java. Very similar to c# and cross platformed. Would i be able to run netbeans or something similar or even eclipse on there to do jsp's and stuff along those lines.

**Haha went to work on 2 hours of sleep today :(