What the heck is Progress doing

alyssa

I am really disapointed with the local Progress office. I have a
customer that develops the application on vb.net with a Progress version 9. The performance was so slow that very time they select a combobox, it takes them 5 MINUTES to populate the next combobox. The users were so frustrated that they vowed NEVER to use Progress again. Alas when the customer came to us, we realize that they had a lot of problems with application and database design problems. Now the program is running.
Unfortunately, when the local Progress support was called in before us, nothing was done, not even a justification that Progress was not the problem. The solution was "try to index the table". What the heck is Progress doing? To add fire to all that, the customer was so happy with the performance now that they want to buy more licenses. They contacted us and we called up the Progress local office. They have refused to provide us with a quotation. What the heck is this? We helped to salvage a customer and bring in more orders, but Progress does not want the business! What a joke!

We are everyone's business partner, except Progress.

gwoodhouse

Which country are you in?

Which country are you in?

Here in England we have no such problems.
I also worked in Holland fo a while and found thier assistance top notch aswell.

Are you speaking to the technical helpdesk regarding quotations or thier business department because it may be your going through to the wrong dept and as thier European Central office is in Holland and consists of people from all over Europe language barriers may be giving the indication of rudness.....

If your contacting Progress via the states... don't know can''t help you.

All I can say is sounds like someone needs a kisk in the backside because without new clients not only will Progress as a company suffer but so will we.... The Progress Developers.

alyssa said:
I am really disapointed with the local Progress office. I have a
customer that develops the application on vb.net with a Progress version 9. The performance was so slow that very time they select a combobox, it takes them 5 MINUTES to populate the next combobox. The users were so frustrated that they vowed NEVER to use Progress again. Alas when the customer came to us, we realize that they had a lot of problems with application and database design problems. Now the program is running.
Unfortunately, when the local Progress support was called in before us, nothing was done, not even a justification that Progress was not the problem. The solution was "try to index the table". What the heck is Progress doing? To add fire to all that, the customer was so happy with the performance now that they want to buy more licenses. They contacted us and we called up the Progress local office. They have refused to provide us with a quotation. What the heck is this? We helped to salvage a customer and bring in more orders, but Progress does not want the business! What a joke!

We are everyone's business partner, except Progress.

alyssa

We are in Malaysia. BTW this is an existing customer. Our sales have been so frustrated with the local Progress office bcos everytime we ask for a quotation, we either get an end-user price or a request for us to get our customer to contact Progress directly.

Unfortunately, our sales director has just signed up with Oracle as a partner with a 25% reseller discount. So our direction is to sell Oracle. After been in the Progress industry for the last decade, I guess the company's direction will be to convert the Progress customers to Oracle. What a joke! BTW we were so agitated by the local office that we have advised the customer to convert from Progress to Oracle.