What determinds the file size of a procedure?

dayv2005

I reached the max size on one today and i never had this happen before and i was in shock i thought something broke.

And the procedure was only like 300 lines of code. We have had many more lines of code in others before with out getting this problem.

So now i realize number of lines don't so much have a huge affect on the file size, so what I'm wandering what causes this, is it the key words and stuff that you use in it?

It's the number of characters (bytes).

If you are editing it in the Section Editor, it's because there is a 20K(?) limit imposed by the editor widget it uses.

Presumably before the other code was loaded in the Procedure Editor, which is limited according to system.

If there are 300 lines in an internal procedure, it may be worth looking at splitting it for readability anyway.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
There are all kinds of file size limits with of course different possible fixes, that were pretty much all removed in release 10.

Various compiled code segments sizes.

The biggest file you can open in the editor.

Well, which one is it ? You can't open the file in the editor, an error pops up when you compile ?

In case it is an error, please specify the error number. Progress version would also be useful.