webspeed needs and update.

webguy

Progress needs to up the ante and improve on some tools and utilities for webspeed and appserver. webspeed is just a browser interface which lets you browse your html files, compile etc. Its only useful in development mode etc.

I wish they'd change webspeed to a client tool. Something that combines all the config stuff from the progress explorer with a basic development IDE, browse and compile ala webspeed. Granted you can use your own editor but its more then that.

Webspeed needs something similiar to classes in PHP for handling common things so you need not code these over and over. For example a proper class for handling paging recordsets (and not the cheesy next page previous page junk), classes for handling uploads that allows you to specify the upload definitions within your program not in one global setting. classes for handling PDF files.

They havent really done anything with webspeed in the 9 years I've dealt with it. Instead they just push you through a plugin (which costs extra) on eclipse which is pretty buggy. Id rather see something native from progress similiar to what was done for PHP with NuSphere with additonal controls for all things in the progress explorer.

Additonally a client tool doesnt have the imposed security risks of a browser tool, nor does it have the annoyance that you cant work with it when a broker is in production mode. With a client tool thats not an issue.

It needs a better easier way to define redirects for custom errors. The current methods for doing this are pretty kludgy. No one likes the ugly yellow webspeed error pages and having the ability to show something custom should be a lot easier.

Sure you'll code much of your own stuff, but everytime I work on something in PHP Im amazed at the abundance of classes, frameworks etc. I dont expect as much from webspeed. Its not as exposed and that's understandable, but come on what you got is pretty dated.