WebSpeed / Exten Progress GUI skills

Greetings,
I have kept up with Progress since V8 GUI and ADM(1) to now Progress OpenEdge 10. Regarding the WebSpeed product, I may be interested in moving onto these skills, since it is an attribute of the Progress OpenEdge 10 license. How do I start to pick up WebSpeed? Is it now appropriate with Soniq, and DataDynamics?
Do I need to go to Slough on a course?
TIA

I'd concentrate on your OpenEdge 4GL and architecture integration skills.

If Progress are serious about the new licensing for OE10, Progress is dead as a web development framework. In fact, Progress is probably dead, full stop.

Good luck.

However, you will better placed to apply for webspeed positions if you have HTML/Javascript skills (as webspeed is essentially a framework for mixing 4GL/HTML/Javascript), which are also useful for general web development.

I would also look at developing your front end skills in another environment, so they are transferrable. My own preference is .Net, but knowing your aversion to all things MS, maybe you should look into eclipse/java.

Code:

You make constant reference to going on courses.

Can I have some of your money?

Lee Curzon said:
Code:
You make constant reference to going on courses.
Can I have some of your money?

I just wish to make sure my skills are of value. It is worth the cost of going to Slough.

I have OE 10 sat on my box, and would like to implement the WebSpeed attribute. What do I need to do? I am a Front end GUI guy, and thought WebSpeed may be appropriate as it comes as part of O E 10.

mpowell_esq said:
I just wish to make sure my skills are of value. It is worth the cost of going to Slough.
Courses are all well and good, but companies want work experience and degrees. If you don't have them, get them.

mpowell_esq said:
I have OE 10 sat on my box, and would like to implement the WebSpeed attribute. What do I need to do? I am a Front end GUI guy, and thought WebSpeed may be appropriate as it comes as part of O E 10.

For the webspeed attribute, You'll need a web server (eg. IIS). I think you need seperate webspeed licenses, I'm not sure.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Since appserver and webspeed are in essence the same there is no more license difference between an appserver and a webspeed Transaction agent, (which is an apserver). Unfortunately there are lots of named users on the internet..... :)

But to learn webspeed you have to learn html and javascript, since the front-end is HTML.
For the rest it's plain old 4GL, no strings attached.

If you think about developping in WebSpeed and you can make a deal concerning the licenses with Progress (or if they wake up and realise that they're doing something wrong :awink: ) then it is also worth the effort to look into Progress E-Script, made by Progress UK, a very nice out of the box webspeed development kit. (well out of the box, you have to take 5 days consultancy from Progrsss....for the rest it's free.... ) But it has some very nice features.

http://www.progress.com/progress/ptw/2005/emea/docs/ptw_107.ppt

HTH,

regards,

Casper.

(Wow googling revealed that the ptw presentatins are freely available if you know there names... or have some imagination..... :lol: )

Summary of where you should start (bearing in mind I'm a webspeed newbie myself). I'm assuming you're ok with reading books/manuals - I know not all coders are:

Learn basic HTML (loads of resources on the web), and play about with an editor like Frontpage or equivalent.

Sort out webspeed licensing, and what web server you are going to use.

Buy Geoff Crawford's book - it's about £40 including shipping, and will help you get started if you're on your own - it's a good introduction to the basics, particularly Admin, eg. setting up your environment. If you are working for someone, get them to pay for it.

Download the various webspeed docs from the main site - but they are not as easy to follow as the Crawford book.

If you're struggling with the concepts involved, pick up a couple of ASP (old style, not ASP.NET) books, as the ideas are not a million miles away from Webspeed, and they are cheap and plentiful - see ebay. Alternatively there are loads of web resources.

HTH

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Can you contribute some info

Is it OERA compliant ?

It's a framework, what services does it offer ?

Overview ? features ? docs ? etc. interested to hear more.