Webspeed and Microsoft Word

Neal Schuh

I am working on a project using webspeed. Within this project it requires me to do a mail-merge into Word and then bring the Word document up to the screen. I would then need to be able to change information in the Word document. Once I close out of Word I would need to send that document back to the Progress database and save the document in a 'raw' datatype. I am able to do this on the 4gl side but not in webspeed. Any help/ideas on this?

Excuse my ignorance on this but how will this work?

Using Webspeed means that you will be running a browser on the PC to display HTML (etc) posted to your session by a webserver.

Where is word going to run? Essentially what you are trying to do is link word on a client PC to a process that is server side - I don't think this will work.

Webclient on the other hand may let you do this...

Neal Schuh

toby.Harman said:
Excuse my ignorance on this but how will this work?

Using Webspeed means that you will be running a browser on the PC to display HTML (etc) posted to your session by a webserver.

Where is word going to run? Essentially what you are trying to do is link word on a client PC to a process that is server side - I don't think this will work.

Webclient on the other hand may let you do this...

Word would have to be running on the PC, so it would have to be a Windows machine. I am thinking that the only way of doing this would be to use a java applet once Word is brought up on your PC. I think you would need to do this because once Word is up on your PC you need some kind of a program to tell you/Word where to send the document. Not quite sure if this will work though.