Question Watch Dog

jmac13

Hi All, (I'm using 10.2b)

I asked a question about Watch dog a while ago. If we should use it or not.. and the answer was yes. But my boss wanted proof its working for some reason.. the manual wasn't enough.

Tom said this

You could always kill a few sessions and monitor the .lg file... (I'd do that on a test system -- real users get cranky when you kill their sessions just to show the boss what happens...)

But I got taken off this and on to something else. Now I'm trying do this, I've logged onto our system then used windows taskmanager to kill the prowin32.exe but I can't see anything in the DB.lgs about watch dog doing anything.

Any other ideas on how to show that watch dog is a good thing to have on

Thanks

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Are your sessions connecting with -S? If so then you shouldn't expect to see any WDOG activity when you kill them with Windows taskmgr.

Watchdog cleans up shared memory clients. In a Windows environment that is (usually) going to consist mostly of back-end batch processes.

Does you boss often suspect vendors of producing software that does nothing? You're running windows so I can sort of understand it -- especially given the way printer vendors (HP, I'm looking at you) like to install gigabytes of bloatware just for giggles. But Progress doesn't do that.