Various questions

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
These "various questions" threads seem to pop up regularly. (They don't just show up here on ProgressTalk either.)

Maybe I'm just a grouchy old curmudgeon but I cannot help but notice that the questions are often strikingly similar. It is almost as if they are from an interview or test preparation script. Or somebody's idea of a Progress "certification". It would be interesting if the posters would reveal the source of these questions.

Personally I am all in favor of helping people learn and improve their skills. I think we all benefit from that.

So my first bit of learning for those posting these questions:

You found the internet, that's good! Now spend a bit of quality time with the "search" button. It is in the upper right portion of your screen as you read this. There is also some great documentation available from Progress and, guess what? It is also on the internet! Surprisingly it can be found at http://progress.com.

You will find that if you at least make an effort to try to find an answer, and show that you really have made that effort (not just "I tried to search but..."), that you will have a much more receptive audience for your questions.

But don't worry -- if that's too much work you can still just post your questions. And if someone is moved to answer them they just might do that.

BTW -- this isn't my forum. I just happen to answer a lot of questions.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Tom - they annoy me a bit, because they tend to get posted in separate threads. So this morning there were about 10 threads with similar questions. So I merged them all together for the purposes of my sanity. I think that is best as otherwise it's just a load of spamming.

I have a high suspicion that these are some sort of interview questions, or maybe questions new trainees are given at particular companies. If memory serves the posters have all been located in India.

Thanks for your quick summary above - Personally I am loathe to helping people who show no propensity for helping themselves. Giving them the answers isn't actually helping them as they will just have more. That's probably why I chunk them all together...

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
The ones I've found so far are Bangalore according to their IP Addresses.