Using a java servlet as a webservice

Louise

Hi There,

We're using OpenEdge 10.1B and need to interact with a 'XML Public Interface/XMl-Based Web Service'; which we initially thought was just going to be a question of using the connect method for webservices available with OpenEdge.

But since testing it I've discovered that to connect to webservices from Progress you need to have a WSDL document etc.

And as all we have been provided with is an test URL and a sample java program that uses commands like:

/* Preparing the URL and opening connection to the server*/
URL servletURL = null;
servletURL = new URL(httpURL);

URLConnection servletConnection = null;
servletConnection = servletURL.openConnection();
servletConnection.setDoOutput(true); // to allow us to write to the URL
servletConnection.setDoInput(true);
servletConnection.setUseCaches(false);

I'm confused as to what I'm supposed to do now.

Do I just do a OS-Command from Progress and run a 'java script'? Ex.

java XXXClient %SERVER_URL%

Or do I need to setup up Tomcat and then Tomcat somehow makes it possible to call this servlet as a webservice from Progress/OpenEdge?

We have not been provided with a WSDL Document by the provider of this servlet, but they refer to it as a webservice in all their documentation.

So will using Tomcat then make it possible to create a WSDL Document to use for connection? Or do I need to contact the servlet's provider and ask them for one?

I'm obviously in the dark here.....I just thought I was going to use the Connect() method etc. and now I see there is more involved and I have no idea where to go from here...so any pointers would be great!

Louise