UNIX vs. server2000 which do you prefer

twiltjer

I need to retire our old DG-UX systems, and being a Unix Admin I am leaning toward migrating to Solaris. However we are considering using WiN2003.
So being kind of new to the DBA world, I'm curious as to what are some of the experiences any one has had (good/bad) with either.

cjh

hello,

if you want rock solid performance and reliability, stay with UNIX ... stay with DG/UX. but i'm guessing you need a better, faster, current platform hence the migration from DG/UX.

HP/UX, Solaris and IBM will all do nicely for you.

I am interested in your DG equipment, what do you have and when do you think you will be doing the migration off of it?

do you need help with the migration? www.datageneral2.com

Chris Hemphill
Progress DBA/Programmer
Systems Engineer

MurrayH

Win2003 vs Unix

both have good and bad points. 2003 appears to be faster than 2000 but is still quite new. I always find that the UNIX disk I/O system is more flexible than Windows although this is rapidly changing. A nice 2 or 4 way dell box running Linux will walk all over a Sparc box for CPU performance but the disks is another matter. Personally I still like my CHUI interface so I tend towards UNIX at this stage .. that may change though with Windows starting to make good inroads into the server marker.

Summary: UNIX at this stage

Hope that helps

Murray

gevezex

We are using LINUX. performance is very very good. We migrated last year from DG UNIX and Solaris.

Works great with over 400 concurrent users a day ;-)