Universal Cloudera ODBC connector for the Hadoop Big Data Ecosystem

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sumit Sarkar

Cloudera shops are really excited about the DataDirect Cloudera ODBC Hive driver to connect their enterprise. Our connector represents the democratization of big data since it works with all ODBC compliant applications across all business platforms, and data is accessible to everyone that knows SQL, well beyond data scientists and programmers writing Java, Pig, or R.

So you have a successful big data implementation?

This is assumed since you’re looking for enterprise ODBC connectivity which is a key indicator that your big data initiative is proving business value across the organization. Demand for ODBC connectivity is really picking up, and I am getting several questions on support for multiple, concurrent connections and authentication with hive2 for which we introduced feature support in our 7.1 SP1 driver. These shops are running CDH 4.1 to store mostly large scale transactional data. It’s exciting to see sponsorship at the C-level since these organizations understand the competitive advantage gained by having more departments derive business value from their big data.

What is a Universal Cloudera ODBC driver?

It’s true there are open source ODBC drivers available. However, the list of available connectors to download for Oracle, Teradata, Microstrategy, Netezza, Qlikview and Tableau are a mix between limited ODBC compliance and sqoop based connectors supporting different levels of Hive Server.

Here are the reasons YOU have shared with me (paraphrased in quotes) for choosing DataDirect for Cloudera ODBC connectivity:

• “It just works”. This is thanks to new ANSI SQL support including BETWEEN clause, Quoted column aliases, and support for all of HiveQL syntax.
  • “We need a single ODBC connector for all of our business systems”. A fully complaint ODBC driver enables connectivity from thousands of applications including: Teradata Parallel Transporter (TPT), SSIS, IBM DataStage, Ab Initio, Informatica PowerCenter, SAP Data Services, Business Objects, OBIEE, Cognos, SAS, SPSS, Unica, Linked Server, Oracle Database Gateway, and more.
  • “Need support for concurrent connections and authentication introduced in hive2.”
  • “We need 64-bit ODBC drivers for AIX”. Platform coverage is available across 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, Linux, AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX.
  • “As a BI developer, I just want to my sysadmin to tell me what port number to connect to and let the DataDirect driver take care of the latest SQL technologies, such as Impala, coming out of the Hadoop ecosystem”.
What are some DataDirect projects for Cloudera ODBC connectivity?

I am seeing hive2 enable enterprise application adoption for data warehousing, federation and visualization. I am actively working on multiple POCs across the following use cases:

• Load Hadoop data into SAP BW using SAP Data Services 4.0 via ODBC.
  • Support lookups from Oracle against historical transactional data in Hadoop using the Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC. It is no longer necessary to schedule on demand load jobs to physically move the data.
  • Visualize raw data generated by point of sales (POS) systems using Tibco Spotfire.

My prediction is that we will see an increasing number of these projects with the release of hiveserver2 and Impala.

DataDirect Univeral Cloudera ODBC driver will support the latest SQL technologies in Hadoop ecosystem.

Get started today

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.