Error Unexpected network error

rdekker

Since the search doesn't seem to work and I'm not sure in which forum I have to post this question, I'll try this one.
We're using a Windows Server 2008 machine with IIS to connect to a Progress database-server (version is irrelevant because we've had this problem for a long time with different versions).

We 've both C# functionality and Classic ASP pages making connections with this database.

But sometimes we receive the error:
ERROR [08S01] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Unexpected Network Error. ErrNum = 10054

Does anyone know what can cause this problem and how we can prevent it from happening? Once we receive the error it keeps coming back frequently....until we reset the webserver (iisreset). Once the webserver is reset the problem disappears for about a week. All app pools are reset daily during nighttime.

Both ODBC and Webspeed (4GL) connections are made to the database. We only have the problem with the ODBC connection.

Last edited:

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
An unexpected network error would be a network error that occurs unexpectedly...

It does seem somewhat oxymoronic in a Windows environment.

Errors which occur after a longish period of time and which go away after restarting some bit of software are often memory leaks within the software that gets restarted. Such errors are often misreported (that is the nature of the beast). I would hazard a guess that the software making the ODBC calls is not properly cleaning up something that it dynamically creates and I would focus my efforts there.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I have also seen network reliability issues in Windows related to various offload technologies that arrived with the Server 2008 release, e.g. TCP Chimney Offload, NetDMA, etc. Chimney offload is a function of the NIC firmware and implementations (and quality) vary from one vendor to another.

Try disabling those to see if it helps. Search the KB for "chimney" or "TOE" for more info.

Online KB: http://knowledgebase.progress.com/pkb_Home?l=en_US&c=Product_Group%3AOpenEdge&pg=kbase
Offline KB: http://download.progress.com/open/products/prokb/ProKBsetup.exe