Underline a word in a report

LarryD

Does anyone know of a method within the ABL in a non-Windows environment to underline (solid underscore) a word, series of words, or column header in a simple text report rather than using the old standby as dashes in the line following? I've looked in the kbase and googled, but cannot seem to find anything appropriate that would work within the ABL to do this.

10.2B, Linux, ChUI

rzr

did you try the UNDERLINE keyword ?

Code:
[FONT=courier new]FOR EACH Customer NO-LOCK
   BREAK 
      BY Customer.State :

DISPLAY Customer.State Customer.Cust-Num.

IF LAST-OF(Customer.State) THEN [B]UNDERLINE[/B] Customer.State.
END.
[/FONT]

mrobles

Hi
You can use different ESC sequences, but it is depending on the printer.
As RZR writes you can underline data but it ocuppy 1 row

rzr

I have to also mention that I have'nt tried the above sample code on a Non-Windows environment. But there is nothing in the help pages for the UNDERLINE keyword that suggests that it cannot be used on non-windows platform.

LarryD

rzr... UNDERLINE works on the screen, but in a text file it just puts individual dashes. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Here is the output to the screen, which looks like I want the text file to look:

Code:
Customer name
──────────────────────────────
Miscellaneous
MOTOR PARTS

But here is the output in the text file when pulled into a text editor:

Code:
Customer name
------------------------------
Miscellaneous
MOTOR PARTS

mrobles, I'm aware of using PCL commands and escape sequences for laser printers, but I'm don't want to hard-code embedded (or even optional based on printer type) sequences in the program as I'd like it to be both viewable with the underlines in a text editor (for example) and for the text to be merged into a pdf template with the underlining intact.

It may be there is no way to do it without resorting to some non-generic coding, but I keep hoping...

rzr

You could also PUT FILL("_",10) ..... but this would potentially skip a line under the column label.