Undefined Voucher Numbers

darrin lingle

Hi.
We are using Syteline 6 with Progress 9.1.
Creating vouchers automatically from Syteline's PO system has always worked in the past.
Manually creating vouchers would automatically show the next available voucher.
All of a sudden, there are ? (question marks) where there should be a voucher number. Syteline is not assigning the next number. I even tried going into vch-hdr and manually assigning them the next 3 (out of 3) numbers. It didn't work. Syteline defaulted to a ? for the next voucher number. I think looks at vch-hdr to determine the highest voucher and adds 1 to it?
Any ideas?

TheMadDBA

What is the last valid voucher number that doesn't show a question mark?

Sounds like you have hit some kind of limit or format mask issue. Or it could be worse. Both versions (Syteline and Progress) are almost 20 years old.

darrin lingle

it will let me manually create the vch-hdr records or update the undefined ones with what should have been the next one in sequence.
before i updated them, i told progress to find last voucher of vch-hdr. voucher was equal to ?. after i replaced the undefined voucher fields, like 6697417, when i told Progress to find the last one, it found 6697417. that is correct. but there's still a problem where syteline continuing to create new undefined voucher numbers (even after my update).
what table does syteline look at to see the last voucher record?

TheMadDBA

If memory serves me right.... it is somewhere in the lasttran table. I can't recall exactly where.

It might be set to ? in there. Run a for each on the lastran table and see if you can find any ? in any of the columns.

But take extreme care in messing with the lasttran table. You can screw up a lot of stuff if you change the wrong records/columns to the wrong values. I am assuming you don't have syteline support?

darrin lingle

wow. that was correct.
i have never used the lasttran table. judging by the data (mostly 0's), it doesn't get used much or by many programs.
we do not have support. i've somehow managed to get help online or figure out problems myself, with no source code.
thanks for your help.