Unable to connect to Admin Server. Ensure Admin Server is running (8336).

kandavel879

Hi DBA's,

Progress 9.1E SP4

I am newbie to dba, so please help me on this issue.

I have installed progress explorer on my windows and server is running in unix solaris environment. when i tried to connect admin server i am getting this error "Unable to connect
to Admin Server. Insure Admin Server is running (8336)." Port is already opened on source machine and destination servers end and verified firewall it looks fine. I tried telnet of host ip with port no in cmd and got success. Admin server is up and running in server side.

Please suggest if anything i am missing on this.

Regards,
Kandavel

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I'm afraid I can't help on solving your problem directly but you should definitely be looking to upgrade your version of Progress. 9.1E is very old now.

cj_brandt

You can't have a firewall between Progress explorer and the system you are trying to access. Progress Explorer requires multiple ports to be open and the ports seem to change each time it is run. Progress has an article on their KB that states PE was never meant to work with a firewall.

There are a few other issues you can have with PE and if you search this site you'll probably find other people having the same issues.

Open Edge 10 uses OpenEdge Explorer and OpenEdge Management as a replacement for PE. These tools don't have the same issues.