Total Newbie Question regarding Brokers...

Lazaran

Ok, here is the deal,

I am using a POS system that was installed implemented by another company and they give some rather useless documentation on using Crystal to access the database.

I've put in a call to them but they seem to be taking forever so I thought I would ask here.

This system is only being used by 20 users, so nothing major their, but I was trying to set up a second broker by the instructions and keep getting an "Exceeding maximum permissible connections" error on the ODBC.

Everything is working fine for the 20 users dialing in, but when I set up the merant connection in ODBC I always get the permissible connections error.

Settings per Progress Explorer Tool set by POS provider:
defaultConfiguration properties
MaxUsers: 21
MaxServers:4

Then defaultServerGroup under their is:
Number of Servers : 4
Max Clients per Server : 20
Min Clients per Server : 1
-----------------------
Then ServerGroup-1 (which I set up from their directions)
Number of Servers :1
Max Clients per Server:1
Min Clients per Server:1

-------------------------------------

Now, I think I understand that any changes do not take affect until you stop and restart the database correct?

Otherwise, how should I be setting this up?

Again, 20 clients using front end software to access the dbase, and then 1 client using SQL to access the data for Crystal or Lexi.

Thanks for the time, and sorry for the total newb question,

Laz

Kirmik

Are you only licenced for 20 users therefore trying to connect with a 21st user is causing you problems?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Just a question:

Do you start the default server group with option 4GL connections only and the secondary broker (ServerGroup-1 ) with the option SQL conections only?

Futhermore the maximum number of servers is calculated by

maximum 4GL servers + maximum SQL Servers + number of Secondary Login Brokers so if you have 1 sql server then -mn (maximum servers) in your example should be 4 (4GL servers) + 1 (SQL server) + 1 (# of secondary brokers) = 6.

If you have 20 users for 4GL then you can set:
Number of Servers : 4
Max Clients per Server : 5
Min Clients per Server : 1

Maxusers can be set a bit higher let's say 25.

If you try this, then tell me if it still goes wrong. (I never work with Progress Explorer so hope I can be of help...)
After startup of the database check the log file and look for:
16:38:53 BROKER 1: This is an additional broker for this protocol. (5645)
16:38:53 BROKER 1: This broker supports SQL server groups only. (8864)

As soon as you connected with SQL explorer then you will see in the logfile something like:

16:55:09 SQLSRV2 2: SQL Server 10.0B.03 started, configuration: "sports2000.defaultconfiguration"
16:55:09 SQLSRV2 2: "ServerGroup-1" started on port 4000, pid 1088 (0x00000440).

I don't know your Progress version and Patchlevel, could you give that to me as well?

Greetz,

Casper.