threshold for block usage

gnome

Hi,

My database is supposed to handle blob with volume of records of about 500,000 rows.
Recently, I bumped into these problem when I hit 250+ GB Database File Size:

WARNING: Area: 9 extent D:\ImgArchives\db\IMGDB_9.d1 has reached the 90 percent threshold for block usage - current block hiwater 29609167

And I am still expected to load more and more records.

Hope anybody has encountered this..
Please see attachment of database Log file and Statistics.

Facts are:
OpenEdge Version: 10.1C

Regards to all.

View attachment stat.txtView attachment IMGDB.txt

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
What is the block size of the db and the rows per block for the storage area?

Are the LOBS in a dedicated area or are they mixed in with other data and/or indexes?

Is this a type 1 or a type 2 area?

gnome

Thanks for Quick Reply,

Blocksize is 8192 having 64 Records/Block
The BLOB is in dedicated Schema, separated from other data/indexes.

I have really no Idea about the difference of Type 1 and Type 2 Schema. Hope you can guide me on this.

cj_brandt

You are using Type I storage with 64 records / block with an 8k db blocksize. You have reached your limit of 256gb. I don't know what choice you have, but to perform a dump and load into a new Type II area. You have to be using Type II storage areas to use the larger tables.

Progress KB ID : P106246 - How to Calc the maximum storage area size.

Progress KB ID : P122538 DB feature enhancements into in 10.1B -
For tables stored in Type II Storage Areas, rowids and block numbers have been expanded from 32 to 64 bits. The maximum number of rows in an area (and a table) is (2 ^ 63). This feature is automatically enabled when a database is first opened in OpenEdge 10.1B. Effectively database tables can grow to 9 quintillion rows, effectively physical limits of storage areas will be reached before the row limit is reached for any given Storage Area