The MongoDB and Cassandra NoSQL BI Roadshow

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sumit Sarkar

Sumit Sarkar, Principal Technical Support Engineer, Progress DataDirect

Sumit Sarkar kicks off his NoSQL evangelism tour this week at the Rittman Mead BI Forum 2015.

Progress® DataDirect® is the leading “vendor neutral vendor” for data connectivity for all shapes and sizes of data, including NoSQL data models. Both NoSQL database and business intelligence (BI)/analytics vendors look to us to connect their applications to data and their communities. To spread the word, I’m taking NoSQL for BI on the road, teaching the world how to connect data, people and ISVs, keeping intelligence flowing.

Based on customer and partner demand, we’re starting discussions around Cassandra and MongoDB connectivity, but quickly expanding to Hbase, CouchBase and Oracle NoSQL in future tours.

Spreading the Word About NoSQL and BI

As Chief Data Evangelist for DataDirect, I think it’s important to talk about our connectivity vision and get feedback from real shops and ISVs—that’s what separates us from competing solutions focused on getting something half-baked out the door. To do that, I am going on a NoSQL and BI evangelism tour, traveling across the physical and virtual worlds to talk about NoSQL’s place in your BI strategy.

I’m kicking my tour off this week in Atlanta at the Rittman Mead BI Forum 2015. This exclusive event is focused around Oracle Business Intelligence and Analytics representing the technology running the largest enterprises in the world. My session, “Make sense of NoSQL data using OBIEE,” will be the first of its kind, tackling standards-based NoSQL connectivity. During the session, we’ll learn how organizations are using SQL access to NoSQL databases for business intelligence in addition to covering common challenges and “gotchas” that appear when exposing unstructured and semi-structured NoSQL data to OBIEE.

The next stop on my tour is a webinar hosted by MicroStrategy on May 20 at 12 pm EDT. I already have a relationship with my local MicroStrategy community and enjoy attending their meetups to talk shop, so I’m really excited to spread my message to a larger audience online. During this session we’ll be discussing NoSQL connectivity and doing a product demonstration with MSTR 10 Analytics Desktop using my Mac to connect directly to a MongoDB NoSQL database to visualize user preference data.

My final stop is MongoDB World on June 1-2 in New York City, where we’ll look at NoSQL BI connectivity through a different lens, the application developer’s. I don’t think a MongoDB developer’s freedom of choice should be limited by existing BI infrastructure. In this session I’ll be talking about using ODBC and JDBC standards to increase adoption and elevate use cases for MongoDB by having the reliable connectivity for BI required by business-critical applications. At MongoDBWorld 2014, several developers shared their frustration with me on getting approval to use MongoDB only because the enterprise BI teams were unable to consume that data.

Get Started with NoSQL connectivity right now

I hope we’ll have a chance to talk at one of these events this summer! If you can’t make it out, however, you can always reach me on LinkedIn and Twitter. And if you’re ready to get started with NoSQL connectivity today, make sure to check out our Progress® DataDirect® drivers for MongoDB and Cassandra. Free trials are available on our website!

Author information

sumit-sarkar-w75.jpg
Sumit Sarkar

Senior Principal Systems Engineer, Progress DataDirect at Progress

Data Access Evangelist, Speaker and World's leading consultant on open data standards for cloud data.

Sumit Sarkar has been working in the data connectivity field for 10 years. His interests include performance tuning of the data access layer for which he has developed a patent pending technology for its analysis; business intelligence and data warehousing for SaaS platforms; and data connectivity for aPaaS environments - with a focus on standards such as ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, and ODATA.

He is an IBM Certified Consultant for IBM Cognos Business Intelligence and TDWI member.

He has presented sessions on data connectivity at various conferences including IUC34, IUC35, Progress Revolution, Oracle User's Group, Collaborate 12, Dreamforce 2012, Cloud Computing Expo 2012, PRGS13 Exchange, Dreamforce 2013, Oracle OpenWorld 14, PRGS14, DF14

Presented related webinars in collaboration with IOUG, DZone, Progress DataDirect and Progress Communities.

| Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn |

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.