systr-trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Hi,

I just want to know after executing the below command how it works and where we can open the logs and see this.

#echo w > /proc/systr-trigger

Thanks and Regards

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
What OS? AFAIK that will put a 'w' into the file /proc/systr-trigger. So it's completely useless.

Mike

"What OS? AFAIK that will put a 'w' into the file /proc/sysrq-trigger. So it's completely useless"

Its:-

OS = Linux qad2010se 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 18 15:51:54 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux.

I think you are not aware about this all:-

Please go through this link:- Documentation/sysrq.txt - kernel/common - Git at Google >please read this document first

I think you are not aware about this its not useless .All things that you do not know is not Useless. Is anybody from Linux team assist me?

Is anybody from Tom Boscom team? People if do not know they simply say useless.

Tom

Please assist.

With Regards
Mike

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Is it an OpenEdge query? Maybe it's not useless, but it's off topic.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Mike,

"systr-trigger" does not seem to be a thing. You magically changed your question to "sysrq-trigger" replying to James. That is a real thing. A few minutes with Google reveals:

(From Red Hat): 5.2.29. /proc/sysrq-trigger
Using the echo command to write to this file, a remote root user can execute most System Request Key commands remotely as if at the local terminal. To echo values to this file, the /proc/sys/kernel/sysrqmust be set to a value other than 0. For more information about the System Request Key, refer to Section 5.3.9.3, “/proc/sys/kernel/”.

Magic SysRq key - Wikipedia

The magic SysRq key is a key combination understood by the Linux kernel, which allows the user to perform various low-level commands regardless of the system's state. It is often used to recover from freezes, or to reboot a computer without corrupting the filesystem.[1] Its effect is similar to the computer's hardware reset button (or power switch) but with many more options and much more control.

So, basically, this is a way to allow you to program a Linux "sys request" keypress. Whatever that key will do for you on your particular Linux will happen.

It will probably not work the same on all Linux releases and it will certainly not work the same on other operating systems.

It will have no direct usefullness in a Progress application. It is potentially useful to some sys admins.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
BTW -- since there is no such thing as /proc/systr-trigger Jame's reply is spot on. Your original question will simply create a file with that name that has a "w" in it (if you have permission to write in /proc).

Careful spelling, especially of commands and error messages that you want information about, is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.