[Stackoverflow] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] OpenEdge Progress-4GL development: how to know from an error message the procedure I'm running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dominique

As stated in previous questions, I'm quite new at Progress-4GL development.

I've just created a windows (*.w file), together with a procedure file (*.p file), which are based on an include file (*.i file).

I've done something wrong and I get an error message, copy-paste reveals the following:

Code:
---------------------------
Fout
** Begin positie voor SUBSTRING, OVERLAY, enz. moet 1 of groter zijn. (82)
OK   

As you can see, this is the Dutch translation of error 82:

Code:
** Starting position for SUBSTRING, OVERLAY, etc. must be 1 or greater. (82)

The SUBSTRING, OVERLAY, etc, functions require that the start position (second argument) be greater than or equal to 1. 
P

I'd like to know which procedure/function is launching this error message. I'm working with the AppBuilder release 11.6 and the corresponding procedure editor, so the debugging possibilities are very limited. One thing I'm thinking of, is taking a dump of the Windows process, in order to determine the call stack, but I'm not sure how to do this. I also tried using Process Explorer and check the stack of the individual stacks of the threads inside the "procwin32.exe" process, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

By the way, I'm regularly adding message boxes to my code, which look as follows (just an example):

Code:
MESSAGE "begin procedure combobox-value-changed" VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

As you see, the name of the procedure is hardcoded, while in other programming languages (like C++) the procedure/function name can be shown as follows:

Code:
OUTPUT("begin procedure %s", __FUNCTION__);

Next to __FUNCTION__, C++ also knows __FILE__ (for filename) and __LINE__ (for line number).
Do such predefined values also exist in Progress 4GL, preferably release 11.6 or previous?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.