[Stackoverflow] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] How to connect a Progress 4GL with a .Net web service using appserver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SJaka

I'm fairly new to Progress 4GL and ABL. I've been tasked to connect a Progress ABL program with a .Net web service. This web service will work as an intermediary between an online CMS and Progress 4GL database on site.

The architecture I've been told is as follows:

1. Progress ABL programs (running on a UNIX box) working with Progress 4GL database.
  2. .Net web services (hosted on a local IIS instance). These will work as a bridge between a cloud based CMS and Progress programs.
  3. A CMS running in the cloud, will send and receive data from the .Net web services.

Progress 4GL & ABL Programs| <--> | .Net Webservices | <--> | Cloud-based CMS |

I believe this is achievable using Appserver proxies and .Net web services. I'm not sure about a few things in terms of the architecture and would like to get some input on:

1. Progress Appserver is running on a UNIX box while the .Net web services will be hosted on an IIS server. How does these two communicate with each other?

2. While reading Progress Knowledgebase, I read that ODBC connection is required for connecting to Appserver. How does it plays out in my scenario? My understanding is that ODBC is required to connect to databases directly.

Thanks.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.