SQL broker Hangs for no apparent reason

clifra jones

Ok, I've search for an answer and found nothing. Our Software company is clueless also.

Our Accounting system is bases on progress. We utilize ODBC connections to perform various functions that our Accounting software either doesn't do or doesn't do very well. The issue is that for some unknown reason the SQL broker dies.

I have seen this happen in these circumstances.

1. No logical reason, it just goes offline.

2. An attempt was made to connect ODBC to a broker that is currently offline. (This happens with my test database)

Once this happens I cannot restart the broken. In fact I cannot shut the DB down normally. I can do a emergency shutdown but that does not free up the port for the SQL broker. The only way to get it back is to Reboot the Linux box. Not a good option in the middle of the work day. It will also hang my backups if I don't restart the server before the backup scripts run time.

Clifra Jones

Girish Girigowd

Have you checked if any other application is taking control of the port? What about your SQL broker parameters? like the m4 and other start up options? are they all right?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
What progress version are you on? (and servicepack).
We had some issues with our progress 9.1D06 install. Lots of issues (like hanging sqlsrv2 processes) where gone after installing SP9.
We found out that killing the sqlsrv2 process was enough to establish connection again.
(If you do this, first check with promon that the process doesn't have any records locked in shared memory...)

Regards,

Casper.

clifra jones

Ok, we are on Progress 9.1e but I don't believe we are on the April 2006 service pack.

Logs don't show anything regarding this issue. 4GL broker continues to run fine.

Startup Parameters (as configured by my SW company):
-ServerType SQL
-n 65
-L 95000
-B 2000
-S ocoinsadm
-N tcp
-H rail2
-Mn 10
-Mi 5
-Ma 5
-Mpb 5

This issue is very random. we operate several databases. 1 live accounting db, and administrative DB and several test DBs. It seems that for some reason the SQL broker will just hang on startup. I tried killing _sqlsrvr2 but the process would not end. As I said restarting the server seems to be the only way to get it back.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Logs don't show anything regarding this issue. 4GL broker continues to run fine.
We had system errors or license errors when the sqlsrv process hangs. But it was never on startup. So different issue, I suppose... Our broker never hangs...

Startup Parameters (as configured by my SW company):
-ServerType SQL
-n 65
-L 95000
-B 2000
-S ocoinsadm
-N tcp
-H rail2
-Mn 10
-Mi 5
-Ma 5
-Mpb 5
I don't know if it matters but we start the SQL broker as a secondary broker. Personally I would set mi to 1 (and use -pinshm), but that's probably a matter of taste...

This issue is very random. we operate several databases. 1 live accounting db, and administrative DB and several test DBs. It seems that for some reason the SQL broker will just hang on startup. I tried killing _sqlsrvr2 but the process would not end. As I said restarting the server seems to be the only way to get it back.

In the rare cases that the _sqlsrv2 proces hangs, I look in promon to see if there are any locks, if not I do a kill -9 (or -11) of _sqlsrv2 proces. After connecting the sqlsrv proces starts again.

Did you drop this issue with your SW company?

Regards,
casper.