SQL and triggers

sdjensen

Hi

We have been running with 4GL triggers for many years, and now we are investigating going to java instead.
I know that I need special triggers for SQL, but does anybody have an idea on how to implement the "find" trigger in SQL?

SQL (or JDBC) only have insert/delete/update triggers and our security system is heavily using the find triggers.

I would prefere a solution where the developer does not have to think about the security but let the server (or broker) do the job.

Any ideas?

RealHeavyDude

4GL (or ABL as Progress would like us to call it nowadays :awink: ) triggers are cannot be executed by the SQL92 engine. The last time I tried to get it to work I always got the same result. Somehing like unable to run the trigger. I have stopped there ...

Personally I would not want anybody connecting to "my" database where all the business logic is encapsulated in ABL directly via ODBC or JDBC with write permissions because he/she is bypassing all my business logic. Plus even when they have only read permission you would be astonished how users can hit the database performance when they're getting creative in building funky queries themselves in some "tool" like access.

I would prefer them to connect to the AppServer where "I" have everything under control ...

If the AppServer is no option to you I don't know any other solution as to get rid of database triggers.

Just MHO,
RealHeavyDude.