Answered Special Characters In Gui

Venkateswarlu N

Hi Seniors,

I have a question regarding special characters that can be used on GUI widgets.

Session is started with character set ISO8859-1. This does not support the characters I want(Greek math symbols like alpha, beta, gamma and lamda).

I can use windows character map to get the special character I want but am not able to paste it(turns to '?') as it is not recognized.

I looked at updating SESSION:CPSTREAM locally, but this is readonly.

Any documents or suggestions on how I can achieve this?

Details:
OE 102B07, Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks,
Venky

RealHeavyDude

You need to change the code page settings of your client and probably of your database too.

Some of the code page settings you can find in the installation directory in the startup.pf file. This file gets created during installation from what was selected during the installation and can later be customized to suit your needs. This file will be picked up by any Progress process.

For the client you can set the parameters either on the command line or in a seperate parameter file. You can fnd a description of the startup parameters here:
OpenEdge 11.5 Documentation

To change the code page of the database you can look here: Progress KB - How to convert an existing database to Unicode UTF-8?
The article is about converting to UTF-8 but basically you should get the idea.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Venkateswarlu N

Thanks @RealHeavyDude, I will take a look. But I am not sure if changing codepage is best/allowed for us right now.
But as it not possible without changing, I will see if there are special characters within codepage iso8859-1 that we can use.

Thanks again:)

RealHeavyDude

I strongly recommend you to not go down that route. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but, it will bite somebody where it really hurts. I've seen people messing with character sets and code pages - mis-using existing characters as substitute for ones that are not present in the character set - and really regret it afterwards.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If the characters on the labels are just that, labels, and not something that is ever going to be a part of the data, then I would think that using an image for the label might get you what you want. If they are ever part of the data, then you need to do the code page right.