Spam

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I havent been on a lot lately. So sorry if I didnt remove the spam in time. Right now its clean. I hope Chris finds a way to solve this spam issue real soon too. But I am unable to contact him.

Regards,
Casper.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
I installed some anti-spam countermeasures that should put anything "spammy" looking into a moderation queue, so the users here won't have to see it. This should help out greatly with the amount of spam.

Cringer

Staff member
Thanks Chris - already looking better this morning, although that could just be coincidence... :)

Cringer

Staff member
Indeed! It's a pretty big number that. I wonder how it decides if they're spammers? Hopefully genuine people are still able to register...

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I was shocked to see the number of spam posters. It will block a registration based on a database of spammers at stopforumspam.com, based on known IP addresses, email addresses and user names used by spammers. It could keep a real user from registering, but that probably won't be a major issue.

It will also check all posts made by users with less than 5 posts for some spam keywords, and run them against the Akismet database for known spam. This posts will be "moderated" so they will be reviewed before becoming "live" on the site.

Indeed! It's a pretty big number that. I wonder how it decides if they're spammers? Hopefully genuine people are still able to register...

Casper

Staff member
I deleted about 60 spam messages every day, so there where many. Nice to see that it works really well. Good job.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it does appear to be working pretty well. We just had a spammer that had registered previously post, and it was automatically caught as spam and put into the moderation queue.