Something quirky about OpenEdge 11.7 - "The Phantom Window"

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Something quirky about OpenEdge 11.7 sp2 64bit on Windows 10 Pro.

If I have the AppBuilder open on my desktop, then I hibernate or sleep my laptop and I turn it back on (or wake up), I end up with this void progress windows? Can't click close or press Escape. The AppBuilder is still functioning and I have no problems writing code and running from the AppBuilder. The only way to make it disappear is to close my OpenEdge session?? What that all about?

1518162063397.png

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
It's the curse of the AppBuilder! You're not meant to be using it, you know!

Cecil

It's the curse of the AppBuilder! You're not meant to be using it, you know!

I know I should be using OED but I don’t have a screen big enough (or high res) to use it. Eve thing is cramded in to one window. And I can never find anything.

Cringer

Staff member
Pfft a feeble excuse! ;)
I know what you mean though - and a lot of things just don't work in PDSOE as well. ADM/ADM2 would be a total nightmare. Anything GUI is a nightmare in fact. Freeform query browses still don't really work.

Cecil

Pfft a feeble excuse! ;)
I know what you mean though - and a lot of things just don't work in PDSOE as well. ADM/ADM2 would be a total nightmare. Anything GUI is a nightmare in fact. Freeform query browses still don't really work.
So you are telling me it’s only good for doing class objects .NET programming.

Cringer

Staff member
It's been a while since I used it in anger (2 years, and 11.2.1), so things have definitely improved. I still found it excellent for doing development work. A lot of stuff is just there in one application. In particular having the Profiler (11.6+), and good debugging available to you is a massive benefit.
The issue comes when you want to do GUI work. Adding triggers fails if the .w is slightly incorrectly formed. Changing the freeform query is really hard because of all the different places the code is meant to go. The AppBuilder changes things natively, PDSOE doesn't.
So I would definitely say PDSOE is a good tool. The problem is, you do still need to revert to AppBuilder for some stuff. And that's a real pain.

RealHeavyDude

Just my 2 € cents

A hammer is a good tool. Just because it is not really usable for driving a screw does not mean it is a bad tool.

The same goes for the PDSOE vs. AppBuilder thing: I use the PDSOE for developing classes and procedures and the AppBuilder for any classic GUI.

I am on 11.6.3 and sometimes the PDSOE as well as the AppBuilder drive me nuts.