SmartBrowse Non-updateable

I'm using a smartbrowse as a "launch" for doing add, copy, delete and update functions. I do this by overriding the default add behaviour and run a dialog with a viewer in it. The viewer has many advantages over being able to update in the browse (e.g. smart selects). Everything is fine except for one thing: the interaction with the smart toolbar.

So that add, copy and delete will be enabled, I needed to enable at least one field in the browse for the table-io link.

However, I want to be able to have the browse fields not enabled but still have add, copy and delete enabled.

Do I need to define a new rule in actions.p and toolbar.p?

I know I can probably run disableFields on value-changed of browse, but that doesn't seem like the correct way to do this.

Cheers

francis_aro

Hi,
You can update (add, delete, copy and save) fields through smart browser. For that you have to use the smart panel (Update Save), instead of smart toolbar.

Please follow this step for updating fields through Smart browser.
1) Create Smart data Object for a table.
2) Create Smart Browser for a table and change smart browser properties as like below.
a.Select Browser Property and click field button from Property then click Enable All button or select enable field and click enable check box.

3) Create smart window (container) and place the following smart object in the Container.
a) Place SDO first in container.
b) Place Smart panel in container and accept smart link creation.
c) Place smart browser in container and accept smart link creation.
d) Create Additional smart link
Source: SDO
Link: table-io
Target: smart Browser.

Now you run a program and check can you update a field through smart browser.

Hope that you are expect this way of design.
Thanks

JonMeecham said:
I'm using a smartbrowse as a "launch" for doing add, copy, delete and update functions. I do this by overriding the default add behaviour and run a dialog with a viewer in it. The viewer has many advantages over being able to update in the browse (e.g. smart selects). Everything is fine except for one thing: the interaction with the smart toolbar.

So that add, copy and delete will be enabled, I needed to enable at least one field in the browse for the table-io link.

However, I want to be able to have the browse fields not enabled but still have add, copy and delete enabled.

Do I need to define a new rule in actions.p and toolbar.p?

I know I can probably run disableFields on value-changed of browse, but that doesn't seem like the correct way to do this.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately you've misunderstood my request. Having read my original post, it sounded like babbling so I'll make it clearer.

1) I want my smart browse to be read-only. I.e. only a browse. The reason for this is that you can't use toggle boxes or combo boxes ..... in a browse. At the moment I trap default-action to launch a dialog with the viewer in it.

2) I still want the add, copy and delete buttons enabled so I can trap the events and instead launch the same viewer in a dialog but in the relevant mode.

I have only been able to acheive 2 by enabling a field in the browse, making that browse updateable. I know I can individually make fields read-only, but because the user can enter a field, the user cannot leave the browse using the tab key. If the browse were just a browse (i.e. not updateable) then this problem would go away.

Cheers