Slow Performance - Indexes?

dev1

Hi,

We have recently moved a table which was replicated in 5 databases into a single one. A lot of the tables in each of the databases had indexes referencing a field in the table. Apart from this change, we haven't done anything else.

Since the move there seems to be a degradation in performance ... we think it could be due to problems with the indexes?

Any guidance as to why this would occur, or how to pinpoint the problem?

Winnt 4.0
Progress 9.1d.

ajaysheth

Hi,
Well, I don't exactly know if I understood your issue correctly. I hope
you have defined all possible combinations of indexes that your application requires + one primary and Unique index. You may wish to keep the indexes in a separate storage area, this also can enhance your performance.
Use progress utility 'Profiler' when running reports, updating tables. This gives you a clear picture of where the time is consumed more.
Try it. Let me know if it has worked.
Thanks,
Ajay.

Ok - Let me get this straight.

You have taken tables that were in 5 seperate databases and put them all into 1 database.

Now performance is suffering, but you have not changed the structure or indexing of each database.

Suggestions.
1. Did you add all the space from the -B in the 5 old databases together to make the -B for the 1 new database?
2. Did you set the blocksize on the database and BI and re-tune the BI cluster size?
3. Did you lay out the new database to have a dedicated spindle for BI?
4. Do you have APW and BIW running for the new database?

In short, if all you did was amalgamate a whole group of databases together, then your problem is in the database tuning and setup!