Slow performance appserver terminal server

rkemps

We have an application using the appserver in progress 91b. The server is a windows 2000 server. The customers uses terminal server to connect via a WAN.

When 2 users starts a program at the same time or maintain the records in the same function we have a big performance problem. The performance will be reduced for about 5x times as normal.

Please can somebody help me how I can solve this problem and give me some tips / tricks to get a better performance.

Ralf Kemps
rke@pspbv.nl
r.kemps@tiscali.nl

cmorgan

I don't know much about performance tuning on Windoze, but here are a couple of things to look at.

First, you mention that you are using AppServer on this Win2K box. Are the clients and the databases also on this same box? If not, how is the AppServer connecting to the database, and where does it live?

Where are the Progress client temp directories (-T)? They should be on drives local to the client, not on network drives.

What is your buffer hit ratio? Anything under 99% should tell you to increase -B, if you have available memory.

What is the code doing that is producing the problem? Many performance problems are the result of poor code, not poor configuration or tuning.

HTH