Question Slow login

JMH

I'm testing out an HP r710 server with Progress 9.1d (I know it's old) and Windows Server 2008 R2. I manually striped my extents across 4 drives to see how it would run versus doing a raid 10 on 4 drives. Each drive has a 8k block as does the DB and my extents are 2GB. My problem is that for some reason logging into progress is now taking about 30-45 seconds and I can't figure out why. Everything else still seems to run quite fast. Does anyone have information on how logging on works with Progress 9.1d or whether or not manually striping is actually beneficial versus Raid 10? Also, if I haven't given enough information please let me know and I'll provide what I can.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Manual striping is pointless. Don't waste your time. Even tiny database extents are far too large to be a reasonable unit to meaningfully stripe and the IO pattern will change over time making any balance you might have accidentally achieved moot in short order.

As for why your login is taking longer... I don't know. Usually that sort of thing is because you have changed some undisclosed aspect of the system or forgotten some important parameter. You've not provided any information about your startup and very little about your configuration so it is basically impossible to even speculate.

Yes, 9.1D is ancient, obsolete and unsupported. You should upgrade. You're buying a fancy new server -- why are you insisting on running ancient, obsolete and unsupported database software? Why aren't you installing Windows for Workgroups?

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You say logging into Progress takes a long time, are you using Progress Admin tools directly or are you in fact referring to your application?

If your application is slow try just a standard prowin32 connection to each db in turn then all together etc. You could tie your testing up to the databases lg file also which will show these client connections.

The point I'm trying to make is if you can connect to the databases in a raw fashion fast enough, then next step is to understand what your app does at logon.

Agree with Tom - provide more info get better answers!