Simple (but More Than Char Mode Sqlexp) Querying Tool For Qad2013ee On Redhat

I am brand new to Progress/OpenEdge, QAD (and my new employer). Using QAD/Progress is just part of my duties as their DBA.

So I am looking for something with a little bit easier to use tool to explore the data in QAD than the character mode SQLEXP. What are 1 or a few options? (which might include tweaking the heck out of SQLEXP ;-) )

The server is running on RedHat with no GUI, so my guess is either something on Windows with simple connectivity to Progress, or something (possibly open source) that is all on RedHat.

I don't know Linux well, I've just needed to use it for some college classes. And if it matters, I have used a wide variety of databases of all types (hierarchical, flat-file, RDBMS, ORDBMS, NoSQL, etc). I prefer using SQL, but record-oriented/object-oriented type processing is fine too.

Thanks.

Does this run on Linux? (One without a GUI environment installed on it)

Or do I need to put this on Windows and find a simple way to get my windows desktop to talk to the Progress db on the Red Hat server?

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-23_17-12-23.png
    upload_2017-3-23_17-12-23.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 4
So if I have a runtime of Progress on Windows, I can use this (I don't think our QAD has a Windows version of Progress, the client seems to be browser only). But I could be wrong. But if not, I need to search for a Progress windows runtime.

It looks like ProKB includes a runtime, so maybe if I put DataDigger in the same place as the runtime from ProKb that will work.

Hmmm, that hack didn't work. DataDigger expects there is some exe to load its .r runtime files, but since I don't have progress on my windows laptop, (just the runtime that came with ProKB) that doesn't work.

Last edited:
The Data Digger developer suggested the same thing. Great minds think alike. I am downloading it now. Not a small footprint solution, but it has other advantages. :)

At some point I will also figure out if there are some connectivity tools I can use like ODBC. At that point I'll likely try using SQL Server's Linked Servers since I'm more familiar with the querying tools in that environment.

OK. So I need to skip ODBC to make sure nothing is getting mistranslated and deal directly with the OpenEdge databases.

On Redhat Linux 6.5 I believe my two options from Progress Software to talk to some non-single user data sources are the mpro and sqlexp. Is that correct?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You can connect to an OpenEdge database via an ABL client or a SQL client. The SQL options are ESQL, ODBC, and JDBC. You aren't limited to Progress SQL clients. You can use any third-party ODBC- or JDBC-capable client, provided you have the appropriate drivers installed. These options, connection URLs, etc. are documented in the SQL Reference manual.

Which client types are available to you depends on how the database's connection brokers were configured by the DBA. It might allow ABL only, SQL only, or a mix of both.

ABL clients can connect client/server, i.e. via TCP, either remotely or on the DB server. ABL clients running on the DB server can also connect directly to the database (known as "self-service" or "shared memory" clients), provided the user has the appropriate permissions on the database files and shared memory segments.

I should have amended this message. I got ODBC mostly working. I have another thread now about trying to use mpro which seems to be the only non-sql interface that resides on the same linux box that runs the progress db. I think I found a file from 2001 that gives some tips.