Question Set Temporary Directory

Hi All,

I want to set SESSION:TEMP-DIRECTORY without hard-cording the value in pf file.Please share your ideas.

Expect to implement : -T %TEMP% (use the Environment variable) instead of -T c:\temp.

Can I define -T in ini file ?
If Yes, how can i access it in pf file ?

Note : It works, If i define like this in the target C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin32.exe -T %TEMP% -pf menu_testconnection.pf.But I want to hide -T value from the user.

Thank you in advance.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I want to set SESSION:TEMP-DIRECTORY without hard-cording the value in pf file
Is the intent that each user has their own uniquely-named temp directory? What is the goal that you are trying to achieve? Please start with the problem, not the proposed solution.

Can I define -T in ini file ?
No. You can set environment variables there, like TEMP, but not client startup parameters.

If Yes, how can i access it in pf file ?
You don't "access" a .pf. A .pf is a collection of client startup parameters that you invoke collectively with the -pf startup parameter on your client's command line. You can specify "-T c:\temp" in a .pf but not "-T %TEMP%". The "%TEMP%" will be taken as a literal path; it won't be expanded by the shell.

If you want unique -T directories, which is my guess, then either set the environment for the user and then use -T %TEMP% on the command line, or else generate a .pf dynamically (containing "-T c:\uniquepath") and then use that with -pf pfname.pf on the command line.

But I want to hide -T value from the user.
You probably can't. The temp directory is part of the state of the process and any somewhat-resourceful user can see their prowin32.exe process' environment and file handles, unless the OS is really locked down.

What's the point of hiding it?

Is the intent that each user has their own uniquely-named temp directory? What is the goal that you are trying to achieve? Please start with the problem, not the proposed solution.
Yes.I want to maintain a separate temp-directory (which already in windows for that particular user) uniquely for each user.

You don't "access" a .pf. A .pf is a collection of client startup parameters that you invoke collectively with the -pf startup parameter on your client's command line. You can specify "-T c:\temp" in a .pf but not "-T %TEMP%". The "%TEMP%" will be taken as a literal path; it won't be expanded by the shell..
It works, If i define like this in the target/command line as, C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin32.exe -T %TEMP% -pf menu_testconnection.pf

What's the point of hiding it?
Hide means, If user right clicks, it is visible -T value.I want to include into a file.

If a user right-clicks on what?

As Rob said -- you can't really hide it from the user. You can, perhaps, make it a bit more difficult to find but you cannot hide it from a clever enough user.

A .pf file cannot dereference variables. So if you want the -T value inside a .pf file to vary you will need to create a new .pf file each time you want to vary the -T value.

If this is a UNIX command line application you could do something like this:

Code:
mkdir /tmp/protemp$(($PPID % 10)) 2> /dev/null    # make sure the temp directory exists
echo  "-T  /tmp/protemp$(($PPID % 10))" > dasht.pf
mpro dbname -p startup.p -pf dasht.pf
You could do similar things with a BAT file on Windows.