SERVER-CONNECTION-CONTEXT maximum size ?

grunnpi

Hi there,

I heard in previous OpenEdge version (v9 or v8 I suspect), some performance issue happend is SERVER-CONNECTION-CONTEXT provided on appserver connect was too long.
An upgrade was made in order to reduce to 40 char long maximum this string, as a limit to not cross.

Is there some kind of limit or best practice to deal with SERVER-CONNECTION-CONTEXT ?
Or can I provide every information I need without wandering ?

Thanks for helping
Cheers,
Pierre

RealHeavyDude

Never stumbled across any problems with the SERVER-CONNECTION-CONTEXT attribute and I am developing applications using this for context management since V9.1c. Can't tell anything about V8 as the AppServer only got introduced at the end of the V8 release cycle and AFAIK there were only stateful operating modes available. As context management usually is needed in stateless or state free operating modes I don't think it was available in V8.

As for the attribute itself, the standard character limits apply to it. But, depending on what functionality is covered by your context management, usually you only store identifiers on it and store the rest in a persistent store (be it a XML document or a database - could even be one exclusively purposed to store session context information). For my part I even store a serialized version of the client principal object - we are running OE10.1c - on it without a fuzz.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.