Serial Final Product / Lot Component Assignment

ddegroot

Hi everyone,

We need a little help from you. We are using MFG/Pro 8.5c and would like to satisfy our customer demand of serial controlled items.

There demand is that we offer full tracking of Serial Controlled Final Products up to Used Component Lots per Final Product. How should we go about this.

How do we assign which component Lot has been used for which Final Product during WorkOrder Production. Do we have to split the workorder whenever we run out of a component and switch over to the next lot, or can MFG/Pro calculate this for us.

We are talking about very small components (Resistors / Transitors etc..) so printing the lot number on them is not an options. THe component are delivered on a Roll(Reel) with a lot number. Components are Added to the Finished Product by a placement machine at 50000 components per hour and Reels are switched automatically. How do we keep track of which component goes where. Should we read the logging from this machine and split the workorder accordingly and backflush per used component lot or are the other options ?

Is there a menu in MFG/Pro to manually assign which component lot is used for a specific Serial Number / Workorder. Instead of following the automatic WorkOrder allocation.

Moving Finished goods through stock requires constant input of the serial numbers assigned. Is there any way to group them together to be able to move them as a whole (as a complete shipper object / Container).

Maybe you can tell us how you are doing this in your production plant :cool:.

Thanks for you assistance,

Regards,

Diederik de Groot
ddegroot at semecs.com

Diederik
Most of the features you are looking for exist in the standard MFG/PRO.
First of all, each item you want to be tracked by serial number, should be defined as "Serial-Controlled" in 1.4.1 Item Master Maintenance or 1.4.5 Item Inventory Data Maintenance. Then, when you release the work order and Print the Picklist, using 16.6 WO release/Print, the system automaticlly allocates the serials (existing in inventory), according to the Picking Logic setting, defined in 3.24 Inventory Control File.
If you want to change the assigned serial numbers later for the specific Work order, you can use 16.13.1 Work Order Bill Maintenance to do so.
After the materials are issued, you will be able to track the actual serial numbers, using 3.22.3 Lot Actual Bill Inquiry or 3.22.4 Lot Where-Used Inquiry.
As far as I know, standard MFG/PRO does not support moving inventory by Container, but if you use AIM or Eagle bar-coding solution, you will be able to do so (at the cost of losing reference field in the inventory detail - this field is used to store container information).
I hope I answered your question, but if you need more information, you can always contact me directly at max.viskov@32soft.com
Regards
32Soft Inc., an Official QAD Subcontractor
Need to extract MFG/PRO documents to Excel and Acrobat?
Free Tools at http://www.32soft.com/new/32printer.html[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Hi everyone,

We need a little help from you. We are using MFG/Pro 8.5c and would like to satisfy our customer demand of serial controlled items.

There demand is that we offer full tracking of Serial Controlled Final Products up to Used Component Lots per Final Product. How should we go about this.

How do we assign which component Lot has been used for which Final Product during WorkOrder Production. Do we have to split the workorder whenever we run out of a component and switch over to the next lot, or can MFG/Pro calculate this for us.

We are talking about very small components (Resistors / Transitors etc..) so printing the lot number on them is not an options. THe component are delivered on a Roll(Reel) with a lot number. Components are Added to the Finished Product by a placement machine at 50000 components per hour and Reels are switched automatically. How do we keep track of which component goes where. Should we read the logging from this machine and split the workorder accordingly and backflush per used component lot or are the other options ?

Is there a menu in MFG/Pro to manually assign which component lot is used for a specific Serial Number / Workorder. Instead of following the automatic WorkOrder allocation.

Moving Finished goods through stock requires constant input of the serial numbers assigned. Is there any way to group them together to be able to move them as a whole (as a complete shipper object / Container).

Maybe you can tell us how you are doing this in your production plant :cool:.

Thanks for you assistance,

Regards,

Diederik de Groot
ddegroot at semecs.com

ddegroot

Thanks a lot Max,

Most of these settings i had already found and setup. I will have to have a closer look at 16.13.1, 3.22.3 and 3.22.4.

Is there any option build-in to import data coming from production machines to assist in entering the serial numbers used in production and reporting scrap during production. Our production machines do produce enough logging to make this feasable. If not i should just write some CIM program to process this information.

Regards,

Diederik

Diederik
You may consider using Qlinq, if you have license. CIM load (using redirection from within the progress program) seems to be a good choice... Do you want to cimload WO issue or backflush?
Regards

32Soft Inc., an Official QAD Subcontractor
Need to extract MFG/PRO documents to Excel and Acrobat?
Free Tools at http://www.32soft.com/new/32printer.html[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

ddegroot

Hi Max,

Using the logging from our production machines i guess the following should be possible (Using CIM):
Per change of component lot we split the workorder (to make component lot's tracable).
Per WorkOrder Segment we use WO Issue the component lot's used in this segment (Using CIM).
Move the serial controlled FP's produced in a WO segment to one specific Floor Location (FL001->FL00n) Using WO Receipt (Using CIM)
Close the WO (Using CIM).

Use Multiple Item Move to Move all Serial Controlled FP's to a specific Stock Location (ST001->ST00n) without having to retype all Serial Numbers again.

Does that sound like a viable solution. Thanks for all your help.

BTW I have never heard of Qlinq and their website doesn't tell me much about what it is capable of. Programming CIM-load program's has been quite simple to be honest, this will just be one more to make. The problem for now is figuring out the correct procedure to make this work. :D

Regards,

Diederik

Ray Man

Hi Diederik,
You might also use a tracking/tracing possibility used a lot in the food industrie. In the food production, volume speed is very high. (12 tons an hour of all kind of products and additives). Due to this speed they keep track of production per day (or day-hour) and issue of components batches per day-hour.
Depending on your production speed you might also consider this alternative. You can see this option "working" if you look at a food "recall". Some companies are recalling a production batch of day "x" with hour production stamp "y". If you are from Plant Uden then you know that AH recently recalled all kind of products with this remark.
If you are interested in this "rougher" but "easier" method we can discuss more details.
Ray Man (Ehv)

ddegroot

Hello Ray,

Thanks for your replay. That actually sounds like a possible plan. We do have very high volume production at 50000 items per hour (1000 items per minute) during machine production, and assigning components in hourly batches sounds like a solution. How do you go about this.

Do you backflush every hour and pick the amounts from open Component Lot's. I guess you use a serial number plus a reference and fill the reference with the hour mark. Can you elaborate.

I guess you are based in Holland from your last remark. Would it be ok for me to cantact you directly (Phone / E-mail ) ?

Regards,

Diederik de Groot
ddegroot [at] semecs.com