Script to terminate stranded character telnet client session

balebob

Hi All,

I have a couple of user telnet session that is not log out probably...so they start new ones which in turn leave the old client processes active on the UNIX server. I can only disconnect these stranded sessions manually on the following day using promon, and using previous day as the guide line to terminate these session from database.

Is there a way to do clean up the stranded session automatically using script or 4GL code?

Thanks,
Bob.

balebob

Yes, I do have wdog running...However, sometimes it works...But 50% of the time it is not working...And no matter how I educate users...They only listen to me in about a week...Then stranded session coming back again and again...and as most of you are aware, no matter what you said...users are always denied and never telling you how it happened...

Now, The main reason is that wdog does not detect session interrupt signals such as HUP. Since no interrupt signal is sent, wdog doesn't know to terminate the session...and the process remains active on UNIX which in turn consuming all system resources such as shared memory locks and CPU cycle...

Thanks for your suggestion, Keith.
Bob.

balebob

Thanks, Cecil. Mr. Backmam's DBA scripts are very good. However, his 'kill_user' script is used to kill all users process that are currently connected to db. This script is good when you use in cluster environment...when you want to make sure all users off the db before shutting it down.

vinod_home

have a script run once a day and check for user sessions without terminal. You could always kill those if you have the script giving you the results you are looking for.