Salesforce external objects to on-premise Oracle, SQL Server #DF14

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sumit Sarkar

After consecutive sellouts at DF12 and DF13 for real-time SQL access to the Salesforce platform, I’m back at DF14 to take data connectivity in the opposite direction. No, not stale noSQL access; rather the new beta external objects support that accesses non-Salesforce data via OData (JSON over REST) which is a new data connectivity standard I call “JDBC for the web” and I am a contributor to the OData.org community. This is the hottest topic in data at the show for Platform Developers, IT Architects and SFDC Admins.

Examples of External Data you can access as native Salesforce objects via DataDirect Cloud OData support include:

• On-premise ERP systems such as those built on Oracle (SAP/EBS), IBM DB2, or OpenEdge (QAD)
  • Data Warehouse histories from systems such as Amazon Redshift, Cloudera, or HortonWorks
  • Marketing Data such as Marketo, Hubsopt, Eloqua, or Google Adwords
  • Related non-SFDC CRMs such as Microsoft Dynamics or Sugar CRM
Make Oracle look like Salesforce? #verycool__x

When presenting SQL access, I like to say that we make Salesforce look like Oracle or SQL Server. For example, when you connect via Oracle Database Gateway or SQL Server Linked Server, Salesforce objects are federated over ODBC as being native to those RDBMS systems.

Now after having just presented this topic of SQL access to Salesforce.com at Oracle OpenWorld ’14 two weeks ago, I’m now saying we can make Oracle data look like Salesforce.com via native objects.

This type of data federation is VERY exciting from hosted aPaaS platforms; and the concept of external data objects has been generally available from Progress Rollbase for almost a year now.

From the #devzone, Cloud Data Federation more popular than Wave Analytics?

There was a session hosted by Financial Force introducing the feature of external objects that included a live demo federating google spreadsheet data, but the crowd wanted Oracle and SQL Server on-premise which is where we come in.

In line for magical external objects via #OData which is a great intro to my magical demos thurs at 10a #df14 pic.twitter.com/ksunMyb77L

— Sumit Sarkar (@SAsInSumit) October 13, 2014

Magical #OData external objects can be queried with SOQL and even SQL from #DataDirect JDBC drivers #df14 #devzone #verycool__x

Running out of biz cards over #OData to Oracle/SQLServer! MT “@JeffReserNC: #DF14 “shaping” up to be huge for @ProgressSW #DataDirect

Join me at my Dreamforce ’14 in the Cloud Expo, Partner Theater North at 10AM on Thursday

Here’s a preview of how we do OData:

And here are some screenshots showing the new external data object features.

Federate data in real-time as native Salesforce objects to on-premise ERP systems such as Epicor, SAP, Sage, Infor, QAD, Epicor, JDEdwards, Oracle, etc.

That’s live ERP data access securely on-premise by the Salesforce Platform!

Platform intelligence: Outbound External Data Objects vs Inbound BI Connectivity

Abstract: Getting data in and out of Salesforce is possible, but the process is spreadsheet oriented. You want to enrich your Salesforce view with external data – from your data warehouse, your marketing platform, and other business systems. You also want to analyze and report on that data using your favorite BI tool such as Tableau or Qlikview. Join Sumit to learn how to leverage Salesforce’s External Data Objects to access data from external systems, and provide all of your Salesforce.com data to BI tools to build beautiful visualizations and real-time dashboards.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.