Running RESULTS report from Windows Task Scheduler

TIm Townsend

I've never really worked with RESULTS, but I have a customer that has built a report in RESULTS and wants to run it every day at a certain time. Is there a way to do this with the Windows Task Scheduler? What would the command line look like?
Thanks

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
What application are we talking here? QAD or something of that ilk? I don't know what RESULTS is so can't help.

Osborne

It has been a long time since I used Results so this may not be the best answer.

Cringer, you could say Results is similar to the AppBuilder as it allows you to select tables and fields to report on. The command to run Results is something like:
Code:
C:\Progress\OpenEdge11\bin\prowin32.exe -db C:\OpenEdge\WRK\Sports2000 -1 -p results.p

Tim, one solution may be is the customer in Results generates a file of the report they have built - see attached image. This creates a standard Progress procedure - also attached. Edit the file to suit the scheduled run - maybe okay to run as is so no adjustments required - compile and then run this file at the scheduled time using a standard Progress command line:

Code:
C:\Progress\OpenEdge11\bin\prowin32.exe -db C:\OpenEdge\WRK\Sports2000 -1 -p SportsCustomers.r

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Results.png
    Results.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 12
  • SportsCustomers.p
    1.3 KB · Views: 5

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Wow thanks Osborne. I'd completely forgotten that nugget. It seems it went by the wayside with v9. What's the purpose of it? Why would someone still be using it?

Osborne

That is a good question as very doubtful many developers use it. Progress says this:
In today’s fast-paced business environment, the amount of information you need to store, organize, and manage is growing daily. Progress Results works in conjunction with your Progress-supported database to help you sort, maintain, and analyze information quickly and efficiently. Results helps you deal effectively with information overload and puts your information to work for you. You can use Results to update information stored in your database, create reports, generate mailing labels, or even export information from your database to common software applications, including spreadsheet and word processing packages.
I suppose it is still useful for customers to easily retrieve various bits of information themselves without having to wait for development to write the programs.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Wow thanks Osborne. I'd completely forgotten that nugget. It seems it went by the wayside with v9. What's the purpose of it? Why would someone still be using it?

It was a tool to allow uses to generate basic reports without the need for a developers.

no days a guess they usedODBC CRYSTALREPORTS OR TABLAUE.

TIm Townsend

Tim, one solution may be is the customer in Results generates a file of the report they have built - see attached image. This creates a standard Progress procedure - also attached. Edit the file to suit the scheduled run - maybe okay to run as is so no adjustments required - compile and then run this file at the scheduled time using a standard Progress command line:

Thanks Osborne, I think that will do the trick!