Running ODBC Server as service

martinpg2001

Hi, I am reasonably new to Progress, and have two related questions about running a secondary login broker. Here's the situation: I am running Progress 10.2B on Windows 2003 Server, and I want to expose it as an ODBC datasource. I can start the Progress Server using the command line:
>proserve database

I then start the secondary login broker using either:

>proserve QAProgress1 -S 9999 -m3
or
>proserve -pf odbcstartup.pf (contents of odbcstartup.pf I give below)

This is all well and good, but if I log out of the Windows machine, then the ODBC server seems to go down. So my basic question is: can I start the ODBC server in such a way that it runs as a service?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but the problem I'm having is that the documentation seems to rely on the using the Progress Explorer tool, and being able to access a folder called ODBC DataServer in it. For example: "double-click the ODBC DataServer folder".
So, can anyone help me configure the Progress Explorer tool so that this folder is present? Alternatively, is there some way to start an ODBC server at the command line so that it starts as a service?

One tantalizing reference is to a Support article P7243 (or something similar) but I can't find the document on the Progress Support site.

Thanks for any help, Martin

Contents of odbcstartup.pf:

# This is my ODBC startup file.

-db E:\OpenEdge\WRK\QAProgress1.db
-H machine_name
-m3
# -Ma 1
# -Mi 1
# -Mpb 1
-N TCP
-S 9999
-ServerType SQL

medu

That has nothing to do with ODBC DataServer, that's another beast that you should not worry about... just go to the Databases section in Progress Explorer and set-up the database to start for both 4GL and SQL (client-mode i think) or you can define another broker just for SQL if you like it most.

martinpg2001

Hi medu, and thanks for your quick response. In the Progress Explorer Tool, under my database I can follow Configurations -> defaultConfiguration -> defaultServerGroup, and in the properties for this defaultServerGroup, I can see that the Client Type is set to Both 4GL and SQL. On this same properties page, the port number is set to 1099. If I try to set up an ODBC source using this port number, then I get the familiar Broker rejects connection error message.

So, instead I took your other suggestion (I think) and created a second server group within the default configuration, called it odbcServerGroup, and set this for SQL only with a different port number. I can now access this via ODBC!

Thanks again for your help, Martin