rpf Temporary Files

jsingleton

Does anyone know what the rpf files created in the temporary files directory are? They have names of the form rpfnnnnnn, where nnnnnn appears to be the PID.

These files can get very large. We have had one upto 4.3Gb which nearly ran us out of disk space. Once created they do not seem to be deleted like DBI, lbi and srt files, when the user logs off.

If I knew what was creating them I could review our application code to see if they could be controlled.

Its Progress 9.1C on Tru-64 Unix 5.1.

I have had no luck with documentation or the kbase.

John Singleton.

U

Unregistered

I got exactly the same thing on 5.1A of Tru64. Mine grew to over 8G!!! Rang Tech-Support and they have "no" idea :(

Q: Did your code exceed the debugger segment or have more than 1 action segment??

Murray

jsingleton

I don't think debugger segments and the like are much to do with it, but I am checking against the advice in the kbase.

I tried a simple loop, with no reads/writes on the database:

repeat:
display string(time,"hh:mm:ss") with frame a.
pause 1.
end.

This created an rpf file which grew by 59904 bytes approximately every 2 minutes. Is it something to do with making system calls?

jsingleton

jsingleton

We now think we have cracked this problem. My particular loggon had the profiler activated. When this was turned off the rpf files stopped being created.

Not sure why the profiler was running - I did not start it up.

We still have to keep an eye on the temporary directory as a lot of old files get left around if people are not cleanly disconnected from the database.

jsingleton

U

Unregistered

Ahh the answer - the rpf file comes from the Profiler .. look in DLC/src/profiler/readme.doc or whatever it is.

Murray