Question Querying the results of a dynamic query

NeilM

Good morning,

Okay not even sure it's a good idea, however here goes.

1. If I have a dynamic query, referenced via a handle which when run returns a set of results, is it possible to query the results of that dynamic query?

2. Or would you get the dynamic query to write the results to a temptable, and create a query on the temptable.

I suppose I am trying to avoid having to create the temptable, whose purpose is only to allow me search the smaller subset of results.

Basically the premise is to search the results of a browse, which has a dynamic feeding it data,

Thanks.

oli

I don't believe you can do that directly.
But you can consider your primary query as the data-source of a temp-table in a prodataset, and then define your browse (and a second - refinable - query) on this temp-table.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If what you want is a subset of the existing query, why not create a new query that gets what you want directly?

NeilM

I was thinking that there would be speedier. If for instance the query has been run against a very large dataset, then instead of querying base line data, then querying the results, would be quicker?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, depends. Are you going to do the first query anyway? Then putting the results into a TT ... or, better yet, defining a dataset and using FILL, which is faster than a regular query, would be the thing to do and then query the TT for your subset. But, if what you really want is only the subset, why not define the original query to give you just that? If doing it over the network, you will pick up speed just by limiting the amount of data going across the wire.