PROGRESS_RECID and PROGRESS_RECID_IDENT_ Columns in SQL DataServer

FocusIT

Hi All

I am setting up a Progress MS SQL DataServer (10.1C04) against a SQL database (2008 R2 X64) that already exists i.e. I am getting the DataServer to pull the Schema into the Schema holder. My question is that are the PROGRESS_RECID and PROGRESS_RECID_IDENT_ Columns really necessary in the SQL database along with the Progress recommended indexes and triggers if I don't intend to use the ROWID function against the SQL tables?

The tables in my SQL database each have a VARCHAR column where the rowid of a corresponding Progress database record will be inserted using function STRING(ROWID(Progress Record)) and this will be read back from the SQL database using TO-ROWID(SQL VARCHAR field value), but at no point do I intend to run the function ROWID(SQL Record). So I was wondering if anyone had tried running a data server without the PROGRESS_RECID fields, indexes and trigger Progress recommend.

My main motivation for asking is performance, a SQL DBA colleague of mine took one look at the trigger and pulled a face to say no way is that coming anywhere near one of my databases. There is also the issue of storage against high data volume tables in SQL.

Stefan

We push our progress database to sql (Progress DB to MS SQL Server Conversion) - when doing so we disable the 'Create RECID Field' option. This prevents the recid columns from being created. All our tables have a unique index that serves for rowid purposes.

Not sure how it works the other way round.