progress tutorials

bangular224

I'm attempting to learn the progress 4gl and have run into some major roadblocks. The biggest being documentation. My employer purchased books from progress software. Database administrator and 4gl essentials. I have to say, these books are rather lacking compared to other programming books I've read. Does anyone know of any progress tutorials available? What about books other than ones available from progress software? I think the ones from progress are haphazard. I would like to learn basics like inserting and deleting rows from the database, or conditionals, before I even want to get started on frames. Hell, what happened to the simple hello world example that has become the de facto standard when learning a new programming language?

It would be nice to have some docs that started off with simple things like
-Starting and Stopping the database
-Printing data to the screen
-Conditionals
-Inserting, updating, deleting rows from database
-Creating tables

jongpau

Try asking your employer if he/she also received a cd labeled "Electronic Documentation" (or something similar) with the Progress cds that are installed on the system. If so, install that cd on your computer (try installing ALL books) and have a look in there. It should contain ALL the manuals about Progress and I can assure you that is a lot more than 2 (at last count there are more than 40 separate manuals dealing with specific areas and levels of knowledge about the Progress database, 4GL, tools etc).

If you do not have the cd, you can download the books in pdf format by going to:

http://www.progress.com/products/documentation/start/index.ssp

vinod_home

Hell, what happened to the simple hello world example that has become the de facto standard when learning a new programming language?

the answer to this would be

display "hello world".

but if you are looking for documentaton.. search the progress website.

bangular224

I think you are both missing the point...

I know how to do a hello world in progress, and I know progress software corp. has documentation. Both free and for over 2,000 dollars a book!

The question was asking if other _non-progress_ sources wrote tutorial style documentation. I don't find psc's documentation to be that great. The books that I am reading (yes, they have dozen's of very expensive books, I know) aren't that great, and they were recommended to me by PSC as where to start.

In my years of learning databases and programming languages, I've read many good books and docs. I find PSC's to be very unhelpful compared to others'.

Rather than tell me "sure, PSC has plenty of docs", I'd rather have someone answer the question "Where are non PSC docs available?". That's a lot more helpful to me, because I don't find PSC's documentation very helpful.

bangular224

gcampbell said:
Admittedly Progress documenation is limited ... but is has been improved if you look at John Sadds books available at:

http://psdn.progress.com/library/modern_progress/index.ssp

If you have questions on 'how to' do something then you can always post here or at www.peg.com.

You will be certain to get answers ... or, at least, be given direction.

Wow, I have to say after reading a few chapters John Sadds books are MUCH better than PSC's books. I would reccomended them any day over Progress's VERY expensive education material.