Progress To Sql Data Replication

mayank

Hello All,

we are using progress 10.2B and needs to send the data in SQL server table at another server on daily basis.

can you please share, how we can do it in best way ?

Regards,

Last edited:

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Y9our requirements are rather hazy. Are you saying you want a SQL replica of your Progress DB? How current does it need to be? How big is the Progress DB?
To be perfectly honest the easiest approach is probably going to be Pro2SQL which is a product from Progress themselves. It's easy, but there is cost involved. Baking your own solution will depend on a lot of things such as the above questions, and it won't necessarily be easy.

mayank

Hi,

please find below details in brief.
we are using progress 10.2 B and storing some data into table on daily basis and we are having SQL database on another server and created the table with same structure same as progress.

since there would be daily update of data in progress table, we would like same replica of data in table created at SQL database.

we would like that what ever data written in progress table would transfer into SQL table on daily basis thru some cron etc and write of transfer of data would be with source system.

I hope, it is now clear to you.

Regards,

cj_brandt

Progress has a product for sale called pro2sql that will use replication triggers in 10.2B to replicate data from OpenEdge to MS SQL.
You could write your own code using triggers or database auditing, would make it a lot easier if the table you are trying to replicate has a unique index.

Depending on how quickly you want the data replicated over to MS SQL, the size of the table and your budget probably determine what options you pick.

Cringer

Staff member
The big issue with any replication is the volume of data. If it's a small table then replicating the whole table every day isn't going to be an issue, but what if it grows? In a previous job we were dumping around 100GB of data every night because of a solution that started dumping 10GB a night and the data grew. We eventually got to a point where it didn't finish dumping the data before the next dump kicked off. Not pleasant.
In short, a flat rip of data is the simplest solution but it could get expensive in terms of time.
A better approach would just be to replicate the data that's changed. For this there are 2 options: triggers (but you have to be careful because any SQL clients connected don't fire ABL triggers), or implement a way of seeing what's changed. Progress have released a new feature in 11.7 called Change Data Capture that you can use for this, but that would require an upgrade for you.
On the subject on upgrades, you need to be thinking about this now. 10.2B will be retired at some point. Version 12 has now been announced, which means 10.2B will become unsupported at some stage around this release. There's no official date for this yet, but Progress only actively support the last 2 major versions.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Latest word is that OE 12 is planned for 1H 2018; I'd guess right around 12 months from now. So anyone on 10.x or earlier should be actively planning to upgrade to a more modern release.

RealHeavyDude

I hope OE12 will be available early next year. We are scheduled to migrate from Solaris SPARC to RHEL Linux next year ...

Cringer

Staff member
A migration RHD? Does this mean there's still life in OE for you? Does this mean you'll be at EMEA PUG this year?! ;)

RealHeavyDude

Who knows what the Powers That Be will have in store for me?

Actually, OE is still an important part of my life and I plan to attend the EMEA PUG Challenge this year. Only my employer is very lazy approving to cover for the costs so that the window for the super early bird has closed and soon the one for the early bird will be sold out too. That is bad news for me in case my employer will not cover the costs. Because, if I decide to cover the costs on my own, like I did several times in the past, it will cost me more than need be when I could have booked the super early bird if I only had known.

Let's be patient.

Cringer

Staff member
If you're definitely coming, why not book now and then get them to pay the invoice instead of you?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I cannot speak for EMEA but over here we would happily refund the early bird in exchange for payment of the more expensive ticket :)