progress rdbms career question

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
1) Getting an existing application to run with Oracle is a lot of work. I.e.

... I've compensated for the different datatypes and other programming considerations in my Progress application and it is fully functional running against an Oracle database.

Ask qad how long it took them and what it cost. Oh, and check out their configuration specs for the hardware needed to run mfg/pro on Oracle vs Progress with roughly equivalent performance (in their opinion).

2) Small gain = my opinion regarding the benefits. You, the dba, get to do a few things online instead of offline. You also get an occasional performance boost in some specialized areas. Those are real benefits and worthy of acclaim but, IMHO, they're generally relatively small compared to the overall business reasons for using the underlying application.

3) I assume that any rational company would want some sort of cost/benefit analysis before they approved spending the kind of time and money that it would take to port an application from a Progress database to Oracle.

I now know that the actual case is a bit different -- you're not converting an application but rather using mfg/pro, which has already been made Oracle ready. That changes things a bit but I would still expect that someone is crunching the numbers and figuring the pros and cons of using one vs the other and that while database feature lists are nice to look at and provide lots of fodder for fascinating online discussions they aren't what will ultimately drive the CFO's decision (although they will certainly have some influence I['m sure).

The Progress OpenEdge db MAY not be the best db available. It though is NOT the worst db available. Folk should not be arguing about the actual db product, more as to the solution provided. Progress OpenEdge is by far the leading SOLUTION. Come on take that on then ... As a solution what can offer a better product???