Progress Openedge 10 connection to SQL Server 2008, how ?

ramonvalls

hi
i have Progress Openedge, OE Studio licensed. I need to connect progress with sql server 2008 database. they are on diferent servers

Dataserver > ODBC doesnt work with sql 2008.
Dataserver > MS SQL Server utilities throws error: "Cannot access MSS with current CONFIG file. (1246)"

I think i need http://web.progress.com/en/openedge/dataserver-microsoft.html but i cant download it.

How can i connect progress openedge 10 with sql server ?

i need an explanation for dummys :)

thanks in advance

RealHeavyDude

As you did not specify the version of OpenEdge 10 you are using, first task is for you to check with the product availability guide whether MS SQL 2008 is supported.
AFAIK, the DataServer is a commercial product from Progress therefore you can't just download it. As you are already using OpenEdge 10 you should contact your Progress sales rep and he/she should be able to get you an evaluation license.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

ramonvalls

hi
i'am using progress openedge 10.0B and data direct odbc drivers 6.1

how can i access to sql server using odbc ? can anyone give me a sample code for Data administration > data server > ODBC Utilities

odbc for oracle works fine for me, but i need sql server too

thanks in advance

I don't think MSS came with 10.0B, go to Data Administration > Utilities > Information and see if MSS is listed on the Dataservers Line. If it is, you should be able to create a schema holder database.

ramonvalls

hi
thanks cecil for your time

The Information is as follows:

PROGRESS and Operating System
Operating System: WIN32
PRO version: 10.0B
DataServers: PROGRESS,ORACLE,AS400,ODBC,MSS

I am newbie with progress. I try Data server > ODBC utilities for connecting progress to sql server but i always get and error, error 6142

My configuration is like that

Logical Database Name: PROVES
Server TYPEE: ODBC
Code Page: iso8859-1
Collation: Spanish9

Connection Parameters:

-db PROVES -N TCP -H 192.168.0.173\sga -S 1433 -U user -P password

ODBC Data Source Name
ddbinari

If i test ddbinari odbc within Administrative tools in windows, the odbc test is succesfull. The driver is Datadirect 6.1 SQL Server Wire Protocol

I'm not sure about sql server port, if it's 1433 or not.

thanks in advance

I'm assuming that you've registered sql server as an odbc datasource and get a good test connection in windows.

Also you need to know there are 2 types of dataservers, local and remote. A local dataserver is what I believe you are trying to configure, so if you get a good test connection in the Windows ODBC Data Source Administrator you should be good to go.

For remote dataservers you must have installed the MSS Dataserver Product (start menu > Programs > OpenEdge > Config) and you will see if it's installed. (it is normally installed on the server where the sql server database is located or where it can be access by multiple clients). Remote dataservers require a broker to be started, use Progress Explorer or the command line _probrkr.

Also I may have lead you astray with the "DataServers: PROGRESS,ORACLE,AS400,ODBC,MSS" this just means the client has the capability to access those dataservers not the license. For MSS 7 and above you must have MS Personal or Enterprise Dataserver installed on your client or Enterprise remotely. The ODBC Personal DataServer is there but only works with MSS versions below 7.

ramonvalls

Re: fish recipes

hi cecil
thanks again for your time
where can i download MS Enterprise Dataserver ? i hace oe studio license, does MS Enterprise Dataserver comes with cd install for my license ? i cant find it
thanks

ramonvalls

hi
but, i only have oe license, i dont have any other license

i dont understand why i can connect to oracle odbc succesfully with data direct 6.1 odbc drivers and i cant connect to sql server 2008 with the data direct odbc drivers for sql

then, do i need ms enterprise datarserver ? can i download a demo from the progress web page ?

thanks for helping me

It's normally on the same CD, just requires the license codes

RealHeavyDude

I think that there is some misunderstanding here.

The data server product allows you to connect to non-Progress databases from within the Progress 4GL and to use them almost in the same way as if they were Progress databases. Don't know much about the internals of the data server product from Progress but I do know that it comes in different flavors for different non-Progress databases. Whether under the covers it uses an ODBC/JDBC driver or not does not really matter - you need the data server product for the non-Progress database to connect to. Even if it would use an ODBC/JDBC driver there's no way you directly access it from within the 4GL. Therefore, if you don't have a license for the data sever for MS SQL server you can't connect to it from within the Progress 4GL. There is (or was) an ODBC data server to catch all non-Progress databases for which there is no specific data server product available - but this is not an ODBC driver which you can just use. Full stop.

ramonvalls

Re: how to use Microsoft SQL DataServer

hi stefan
I connect progress to oracle with odbc and works fine
I dont have Microsoft SQL Server DataServer in my license, how much it costs ?
I would like to use odbc driver to connect progress to sql 2008 and see sql schema from progress, is it possible ? wich openedge version and odbc drivers do i need ?
thanks in advance

Stefan

I connect progress to oracle with odbc and works fine
As stated above, if it works without checking the Oracle DataServer then this is a bug.

I dont have Microsoft SQL Server DataServer in my license, how much it costs ?

I have no idea, contact your Progress sales person.

I would like to use odbc driver to connect progress to sql 2008 and see sql schema from progress, is it possible ? wich openedge version and odbc drivers do i need ?

Yes it is possible, read the product availability guide quoted earlier.

ramonvalls

hello
I've been doing some tests.
I've installed Openedge 10.2B trial and Datadirect 6.1 SQL Server Wire Protocol trial. The test of the DSN works fine within windows.
In openedge, i create "ODBC Utilities > Create DataServer Schema...." but i get an error

"Could not connect to LEDSDDBB as user "sa"
Failed to connect to the ODBC database (6142)

i have no idea

thanks in advance

Stefan

Why are you using 'DataServer / ODBC Utilities' when you need to be using 'DataServer / MS SQL Server Utilities'?

RealHeavyDude

I am not really familiar with the MS SQL Server, but: AFAIK you can configure it to use the Windows authentication instead of user name / password. Otherwise I would speculate that the password is not correct.

ramonvalls

hi
the user and password are correct, DSN test within windwos works fine, but same user and pass in progress thorows error.
Is it possible with DATASERVER ODBC or i need to buy DATASERVER FOR SQL license ?

my params for Dataserver > ODBC Utilities...

Logical database: LEDSC4SQL
server type ODBC
cde page: iso8859-1
collation: spanish9
Connection poarameters: -db LEDSC4SQL -H 192.168.3.181\SGA -N TCP -S 1433
odbc Data source name
DDBINARI

thanks in advance