Progress licensing

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

We need to change our licensing model for our customers from concurrent user to Application server Enterprise/named user model.
I was wondering if anybody knows if we are still going to need enterprise database licenses for all our customers or does it suffice to have enough db licenses for the appserver and self service clients to connect?

TIA,

Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Licensing of the DB is by user, whether registered client or named user. I.e., it is not by agent or connection. There is also a license for casual users.

And, you don't have to change from concurrent for existing sites. Rumor has it, that people even still buy V9 for new sites and then upgrade to keep the concurrent model.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Thomas,

My problem is that I think that, since we are moving from client/server to n-tier appserver application, Progress isn't going to be thrilled if we stay on the concurrent user license model. Since our concurrent users on the database will be much less... Or is that a wrong interpertation of the essence of the concurrent user model.
Almost all our clients come from V9 and they all have concurrent user licenses.

Casper

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Concurrent user is unrelated to agents, even on V9. It is the number of humans in front of terminals or PCs. Multi-session on one PC = 1 user. One user logged in on 3 terminals = 3 users. Doesn't matter what architecture is in the middle.

You should evaluate the definition of users in the V10 model and compare that and concurrent user to the pattern of usage. Registered client and named user licenses are cheaper than concurrent user, but a lot depends on the pattern.