Progress in another world

jkrendal

Its been awhile now with web services, XML, PHP, ASP.NET, MY SQL all out in abundance and supported well by variouse vendors and an abundance of informational web sites and books.

Now that we are at version 3 of webspeed and version 9.1 on Progress, it still amazes me at the lack of infromation available on how to develop on these platforms.

Not to say that the knowledeg base doesnt have some good information, but come on. Not one commercial book, (other than the outdated and non webspeed oriented blue book).

Progress is a good platform, but it is quite disturbing this trend of no interest by Progress Inc. to provide any good information "how to" books or information on developing with Progress webspeed. Thats seem to be part of their business model. claim the cost advantage, and charge like hell for training and proprietary progress only apps, since Progress doesnt integrate very well with a majority of SQL based thrid party applications.

Am I the only one who feels this way about Progress? Does Progress really listen? With the advances and information available on other platforms (PHP, MYSQL and anything ASP or java) it makes webspeed workshop seem pretty crude. I mean really, do you guys honestly consider webspeed workshop a good productive IDE? Heck Progress provides a far better IDE with Nusphere for PHP than they do for webspeed.

Its too bad. Progress 4gl is great to work with, but I hope that fact isnt making Progress take that for granted. When it comes to the web, most customers will request a PHP , ASP or java solution even if they are on Progress! The cost for webspeed alone is prohibitive and thats not even considering a clients perception of webspeed awareness in the market, and their local Barnes and Noble bookstore. And what a pain it can be developing with PHP, ASP or even java on top of a Progress database.