Progress Explorer Tool

PJan8724

Hey all,

I just finished settin up a server for testing OpenEdge 10.0b05. This server is going to replace out current production server once the IS department is done testing our application against the database. I used the Progress Explorer Tool to initially start the database and I have a script the does an offline backup (per company policy) that will run once a week once in production. The problem that I have is once the offline backup is complete, the PET no longer recognizes the fact that the database is up and running since it was restarted by the backup script.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem and get the PET to see that the DB is running after the script has started the DB. All the DB start-up parameters are the same within the PET and the backup script and I am using the same user account to start the AdminServer, the DB in the PET and to run the backup script.

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete J.

curly

If you use _mprosrv, _mprshut, proserve or proshut in your script then you could loose visibilty of the dbs from PET.

To keep the visibility use dbman instead.

Example:
dbman <PET's DB name> -start
dbman <PET's DB name> -stop

Regards,
Marian

PJan8724

Hey Curly,

Thanks for the tip. DBMan works for part of what I'm trying to accomplish, it does stop and start the database and PET does recognize the fact whether or not the database is up and running. However I can't use it in a batch file because DBMan terminates the command after it is run which means that the rest of the batch file will not run so my backup won't complete and the database will not restart automatically. Any ideas on how I can get around this one.

Thanks,

Pete J.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It's a script. To avoid the problem of a script terminating the calling script in Windows you use the CALL command in your batch file. Something like:

CALL %DLC%\bin\dbman dbname other-args